Questions about satellites - How much do you play? What is your BRM?

• akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Hey guys! Lately I've been wondering about the following:

1)
      This site suggests to have one hundred buyins for MTTs (fee not included), but what about satellites? If I play MTTs from sats, the variance is obviously going to be higher, but the winnings will be higher too... So, if there is $280 on my account, should I play $2+0,20 satellites for a $10+1? What bankroll management do you suggest?

2)
      How much satellites do you play? I mean, staying at the previous example, it could be pretty frustrating to play 5 times the $2+0,20 satellites and NOT get into the $10+1 tournament... I've spent the 11 bucks but I can't play on the target tourney. So what do you guys suggest? Play one? Two? Or play until I spend a certain percentage of the target tourney? Or keep playing until I have money on my roll :) ?

Thanks for the replies in advance, all opinions and advices will be highly appreciated!!

akrammon
  • 3 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      It depends on the type of satellite you play. Let me give an extreme example.

ON FULL TILT there is a $1 MTT satellite into the world series of poker. 5 seats are guaranteed so there will be at least 60,000 people in this satellite. Top 5 get paid. If regularly grinding this satellite were an option, I would not do so without a ridiculous amount of buyins (like 5,000). After all you will almost never cash. It might take 10,000 tries just to cash. This sat requires a huge bankroll.

Now picture the other end of the spectrum. I doubt such a satellite would exist but suppose there is a $9.90 satellite with 10 players. The top 9 get a seat into an $11 tournament. A good player will get in more than 90% of the time. 5 buyins is more than enough to grind this satellite.

Now back to your satellite. $2.20 and the top ~16% get $11 entry. 100 buyins is quite a conservative bankroll for this. I would say 30 buyins is a decent amount for this one. MTTs are different since most of the cash is concentrated at the final table. Satellite the cash is evenly spread which means less variance and thus smaller bankroll.

I hope I've helped.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      You shouldn't play the satellite main event if it isn't within BRM. For example to 2$ satellite into 11$ event, you should have ~1000$ bankroll, not 200$.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      noclaninator: I tend to disagree: even if I get the sat 25% (making $11 out of $8,80), that can't be calculated as profit, because to actually earn money, I have to get ITM on the $11 tourney.

Anssi: Thanks! Then I shall try build a bigger roll for now...