SnG novice

• mhayden
      mhayden
      Bronze
      Hey guys
      i'vejust started getting into online poker at FT playing $1 9 man snGs after your excellant advice in the strategy section i manage to break about even, even after a run of shitty luck (or novice inexperiance) around the bubble. I'm wandering am i being to conservative my VP stat is always considerably lower than my oppents on poker tracker3. Is this a good indication of a lack of aggresion? also are the 9 man SnG better than 6s if your a tight wad like myself
      cheers guys and great site!!
  • 8 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      i manage to break about even

You can say that after you play at least 1000games. If you haven't, you have no clue how you're doing.

Basically, as long as you follow the articles ( i had push/fold charts printed for months), there's no way you're breaking even, not at 1$. So make sure you learn the most you can and PLAY PLAY PLAY!!!
    • mhayden
      mhayden
      Bronze
      aiiiiight man cool
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Agree... Push/fold stage is crucial for sng's. You will have a huge advantage over purely recreational players who will wait for premium hands while blinded out. Also you should check the videos, which will be a great learning tool.

Also, you didn't mention if you are playing turbos or regular tourneys. My advice is that you play as much regular tourneys as possible. They are a bit longer, but it will give you a greater chance if you play as per the articles. I still haven't got a hold on turbos and have played over 3k tourneys already.

Hope you do well.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      great advice in this thread already,

watch the bronze videos
      keep practicing your push fold game

dont worry about your stats compared to other players. you will usually be the only one in those games who has a clue what to do
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      ^^ and u can download ICM nd practice these spots :)

ICM
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey mhayden,

I can highly recommend 4 things:

#1) Head over to the video section and watch some videos: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/sng/

There are quite a few low level SNG videos by Unam, Chenny and Helemaalnicks for bronze members which will help show you if you are doing things right or not.

#2) Download the ICM Trainer Light and the normal ICM Trainer: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/

Practice your ICM - its important for understanding key principles of playing late phase SNGs ;)

#3) Get involved in the SNG hand evaluation forum: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1429

This a place where you will fix your leaks and start to think about critical situations.

#4) Check out our coaching schedule: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/

We have several live SNG coachings a week where you can watch the pros play and ask questions. A very good method for improving :)

If you do these things you will be able to move up the levels safely and more importantly more knowledgeable :)

Best regards
      -Steve
    • mhayden
      mhayden
      Bronze
      Great advice as per usual guys thnx.

I'm strictly playing reg tourneys just single table to asess my level of competance against standard online opponents and applying the principles detailed in this website. The charts have been a great guideline and i'm looking forward to more comprehensive tutorial as my status increases. Thanks agian and good luck at the tables i'm off to watch some vids..
      Bronze
      I agree the videos are awsome in the basic and bronze sections.

I just wanted to add that whatever you decide to do make sure you take your time.

SNGs are a horrible thing on the mind sometimes. The whole thing about 1k games being your mark of knowing
      how good you are is totally false. If you are playing one table at a time and fully focused then sure but once
      you start getting in a higher volume you can play 1k SNGs and be less in profit then you were before you
      started those 1k games and you could have been playing well for those 1k games.

Whatever you do, remember to focus on how you are playing and not what happens after you make your choice.

If you find yourself in a hand and even though you have a chart and you are watching videos and you read the
      articles but you just do not know what to do here then go post that hand in the evaluation section.

As long as you know what to do with confidence and you know for sure by cross checking with coaches at
      coaching sessions (BTW they answer EVERY question very professionally even if they heard it a million times..)
      and posting hands.. then be very happy and play on.

If you start worrying about $ per hour and trying to move up to higher limits faster or clearing some kind of
      bonus, anything that puts you in a hurry and you will feel the negative aspects of SNGs affecting you ten fold.

Every time.

Trust me on the last part I have been a fool about it many many times.

Lastly, (I make long posts its a disorder and I can't be cured)

You can try starting a blog about your efforts.

Lots of SNG players will read it and be able to offer you advice and solace and congratz whenever its
      warranted which helps mentally. There are piles of other beneifits like setting goals and keeping track
      and meeting people who will sweat with you etc etc.

Good Luck.