Fish´s story

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I´m from Estonia and I´ve been playing poker for one year. Right now I´m studying Tallinn University of Technology at finance and business. I´m 23 years old and still I try to achieve success in poker

This is my 500 post, so I thought I would write some thoughts what I experienced last 8 months. Before Pokerstaretegy I was complete fish/calling station who dind´t know anything about pot odds and called down single hands on FL with low pairs.

Thanks to ciRith, arschholio, Ulek, frzl and other FL forum commentators who helped me to reach winning player on FL 0,05/0,10 to FL 0,15/0,30 tables.

But then I decided that I should move on to NL section, because it was so sick that I couldn´t bet enough, if I was ahead and all the loose players outdrawed me.

But the worst was still ahead:) , when I started to play NL SSS Strategy. Fortunately there was very good coach Alaton who taught me a lot stealing, re-stealing, contibets and I managed to reach again 150$ bankroll, which was good enough to go to the NL 25 SSS level. And here I am last 2-3 mounths:) It is just terrible how I´m get outdrawed, these big stacks are so loose, and I was bending 150-225$, until I had a little upswing and could play a little NL 50 tables. Of course I had some bad luck or I didn´t play good enough and I decided to climb down at NL 10 BSS. At least there I have good odds to call with my pocket pair and could outplay weaker opponents (or at least I think that I can:) )

NL 10 BSS is interesting and I think that I can beat that level and maybe someday move up to Nl 25 BSS. SSS can be useful, but I just don´t like to get outdrawed, also on NL 50 players are much tighter and I think that I should use pokertracker to achieve success in there.

Finally I would like to thank all the judges and users who have commented and analyzed my hands on the forum. That helped me a lot. Also live coachings have been very useful. Hopefully someday I´m not just another fish and can play NL/FL at higher limits:)

See you at the tables;)

Kaidar
  • 9 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz20!

Nice story! I Hope you remain true to NL ;) Hope to see you at the higher limits very soon.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Don´t think that there is much difference between NL or FL. You have to put very much effort to be winning player on high limits. I think that in FL it is maybe even more difficult and like Ulek said it is very hard to learn both. Today I´m trying to learn and beat NL 10 BSS, if I can manage this then who knows where I can reach;)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Sad, sad Kaidar. Today I played badly, and I know it, made 2 stupid calls. First one was like that:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)  
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $12,28
      BU:
      $9,70
      Hero:
      $11,12

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:spade: , A:spade:
      Hero raises to $0,40, CO raises to $1,00, BU calls $1,00, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,60.

Flop: ($3,15) 8:spade: , Q:spade: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1,30, BU folds, Hero calls $1,30.

Turn: ($5,75) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2,80, Hero calls $2,80.

River: ($11,35) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4, Hero calls $4,00.

Final Pot: $19,35

Then my aces got stacked by the JTs. I had set of aces on the flop, he made flush, easy all-on on the both side. Then I lost all the coinflips against SSS players, but I won´t fold my AK or TT, if I put him on pairs or overcards- I was right. just bad luck. And finally I raised my jacks. 2-3 hands before that LAG check/re-raised twice. First hand I didn´t have anything, second time I had 55 (hoped for set (and I was already playing maybe on the tilt), board was JJK. I thought I would push all-in, but then I wasn´t yet so tilted. Some hand ago I cracked my 55 (flopped set on the flop) probably aces or AQ, didn´t saved it on Grabem and didn´t want to watch on the hand history.

And then I was dealt JJ. Raised MP2. Both blinds called. Board was quite dry T73. Made standard contibet 1$ to 1,4$ bot and again check/raise. Called flop, called turn 2$ bet and river 4$ bet (he was so generous and left me 2$- which he still got me, because my 33 lost his AK loosing 4 coinflips in a row- nice) Both cards were blanked, so I put him maybe on 89 and the draw. Some day you win some day you loose. I still have over 305$+ Pokerstars 100$. I have reached 400$ and I think I will take a break and start NL 25 SSS. Steal 30% and if I hit anything, then all-in. No looking back, and also no folding AK, maybe sometimes Is till fold JJ^^, but NL 25 in 12 tables gives good enough PP and rake, so I should try soon NL 50 SSS:P (if pokergods decide that I don´t loose most of my coinflips)

Good Luck

Kaidar
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Don´t think that there is much difference between NL or FL.
      I know this is taken out of context, but i LOL-ed hard.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      yeah, quite funny:D
      at least it was posted at the right thread;)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think that I maybe can beat NL 10 level ^^ Actually I was thinking folding a set today:)
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $10,89
      BB:
      $11,41
      Hero:
      $14,70
      CO:
      $10

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5:heart: , 5:spade: . CO posts a blind of $0,10.
      UTG folds, Hero calls $0,10, 4 folds, CO checks, BU folds, SB calls $0,05, BB raises to $0,20, Hero calls $0,10, CO calls $0,10, SB calls $0,10.

Flop: ($0,80) 5:club: , J:heart: , 8:spade: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0,80, Hero raises to $2,00, 2 folds, BB calls $1,20.

Turn: ($4,80) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $9,21 (All-In), Hero calls $9,21.

River: ($23,22) J:diamond:

Final Pot: $23,22

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BB shows [ Tc, Qs ] a pair of Jacks
      Hero shows [ 5h, 5s ] a full house, Fives full of Jacks
      Hero wins $22.22 USD with a full house, Fives full of Jacks.

Some players tend to min-raise with (small) pocket pairs to get value. And on that flop I would probably re-raised on the flop, but players are different: some bet/call flop and lead out the turn. Anyway can´t fold here, because he could do that with draw. Hopefully some day I can find a way when to fold my set- so far I´m stacked all the high pairs with my low sets^^ and twice there was higher set against lower set.

Had an upswing today. First won coinflip with my QQ against two other player who had AK. Flop was nice AAQ:) and turn was even better Q:D . Then hit my set and finally my trips beat QQ and QJ. Still I don´t know how to fold or protect my AK. have to figure it out and fold his pot size bet on the river:

Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $13,33
      UTG+1:
      $9,90

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , K:club:
      UTG+1 raises to $0,40, 3 folds, Hero calls $0,40, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0,95) J:spade: , T:club: , 7:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $1, Hero calls $1,00.

Turn: ($2,95) K:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $2, Hero calls $2,00.

River: ($6,95) J:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $5, Hero calls $5,00.

Final Pot: $16,95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ Ad, Kc ] two pairs, Kings and Jacks
      UTG+1 shows [ Ks, Kd ] a full house, Kings full of Jacks
      UTG+1 wins $16.11 USD with a full house, Kings full of Jacks.

I could easily save 5 $ not calling the river. I think that I should even fold against half pot size bet. Played it like fine callingstation:D

Today I´ve reached 500$ bankroll (400 in Partypoker and 100$ Pokerstars). Maybe I should take another shot on NL 50 SSS, but NL 10 BSS is also fine and I´ve earned there about 100$ in last month, so not bad at all^^

OK, 10k$ Pick Your Prize starts, hopefully I can reach final table and won a little beer money:)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz20!

Nice upswing :D Concerning the hands you played:

Hand 1) NEVER EVER fold a set on such a board. Maybe if you are on the high stakes and play against a really good player but on these limits? Never fold a set!

Hand 2) fishy calling station ;) reraise preflop and fold to another raise. As played: fold on the flop. As played: call turn and fold river.

Hope you don't play that way in the pick your prize tourney :P

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Played horrible on that tourney. I just don´t know hot to play tourneys and I always tend to loose coinflips or find out that the pther players would call with monster. Last hand: had AQ, BU called my UTG push with AK, simple unlucky.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I just don´t know hot to play tourneys
      I recommend that you participate in our SnG coachings on Wednesday. Although it is not a classic multi table tournament coaching it should help you to improve your tournament skills.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81