Open raising: 3bb, 3.5bb or 4bb. 6-max.

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I allways open raise 3.5bb pre flop. Pokerstrategy tells you you should open 4bb pre-flop, but i'v always openraised 3.5bb. The one thing i notice though when you get to NL50/100 is that the standard open raise becomes 3bb. Why is this exactly? What the reasson behind it? Other than posistion what are reassons for opening 3bb rather than 3.5 or 4bb? What are the positives and negatives for opening either 4bb or 3bb?

Dont know how clearly i'v made what im trying to ask (as always), Hopefully though you understand =)

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • Rakijan
      Rakijan
      Bronze
      Stack to pot ratio, try open raise 6 BB if they call it is better then 3 bb :) , maybe 2 bb is good if there are agg. players who will 3bet you a lot, you can 4 bet ...
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well lets say you've got AA on the BU and there's a fish on BB whose calling 90% of hands. In this case you might as well make it 5BB instead of standard 3bb on the BU since his gonna call anyway so you get more money into the pot. Obviously you can't do that vs a good player.

And lets say that you have TJs on the BU and the BB is agro reg that 3-bets you all the time since he knows you open the button very lose. Now you don't want to fold this hand in position, so you can make it 2bb so its easier for you to call 3-bets in position where you get better stack to pot ratio with your speculative hands.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hello,
      You need to watch this video:
      Bet sizing in SH games
      Really helpful.
      :f_confused: