[NL2-NL10] AJ 3bet pot

• Rekin109
      $0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with J, A.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, SB raises to $1.35, BB folds, Hero calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.8) T, 2, 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.8) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

River: ($5.8) J (2 players)
      SB bets $3.65, Hero calls $3.65.

Final Pot: $13.1.
      Results follow:

22/15/4,5/ 3bet 7,9% 125hand
      Cbet 57 / w$sd 83%
      history he 3bet 3times me by 5 orbits.

you thinks call 3bet oop AJ is bad??
      you thinks call turn is bad????
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Hard to say, more often than not I'll have done something before the 4th 3-bet :p

Assuming you think it's the right time to play back (the whole point of 3-betting often is to set people up so that when you finally end up with a good hand they go nuts on you), I think I'd rather turn AJo into a 4-bet bluff. We're slightly deep so it's hard for villain to 5-bet non-premium hands on us assuming he's capable of doing so. Also AJo doesn't play that well postflop, when you make a pair you'll be faced with aggression by hands that still beat your top pair and you'll need to guess just exactly how far your villain is going to go if he's bluffing. Will he fire two barrels on an A-high board with air? Will he shutdown after you called the c-bet?

If it was suited I'd call in position, we have a lot more flops that hit us with some kind of draws that we can put pressure on villain with by raising, or feel more confident calling a few bets because we'll have nutted outs.

As played on the flop it's really odd that he checked, I would c-bet all my air on this board. Could be that expects you to play back and doesn't want to waste a c-bet, could be that he's just getting fancy. I'd also check back.

As played just fold the turn I don't think you really beat much, most tags will check again on the turn if they somehow checked the flop with a hand like AK. Maybe sometimes he wanted to check/shove a draw on the flop and now has no choice but to bet, but frankly I doubt it. If you don't want to fold that turn I'd suggest bet/folding the flop instead in case he's really giving up with something.

As played when he bets again on the J river I still think you're beat most of the time. Most tags aren't good enough at nl10 to valuebet stuff like Tx when an overcards comes, so unless he's 2 barreling diamonds or decided to valuebet the rivered J he had with his diamond draw, both of which are already a big leap of faith into the skill of a nl10 player, I just think he got fancy from the begining with something that trumps AJ.

Hope it helps.