Day after you went broke

• Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      Its what I want to ask those who went broke from solid BR few thousants or tens of thousants or hundrets of thousants dollars to 0. How you feel next day when you play $1 tournaments and 0.02/0.04. Are you lucky for every dollar?
  • 27 replies
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      I don't think it's possible to go broke when you really use strict and solid BRM...
    • alberts1955
      alberts1955
      Bronze
      yep u can't go broke with strict bankrool!
      anyways, if u have thousands of $ on poker, i don't think u will have to play 1$ tournaments even if u go to 0
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Well since been a winner, i only went (basically broke) once, i had no dicipline last summer with my expendature (it was my first summer since playing full time start of Jan 2009), so cashed out more than i should of. When i realised how screwed i was i cashed out everything except for $100. Then what did i do? Well i just started grinding like a machine day in day out 12 tables every hour i was awake. Fortunatley recoverd and learnt alot.
      All you can do is start again, no point thinking about whats lost...because its not yours anymore. But i dont believe with the kind of figures your talking about you can go broke.......Something your not telling us?
    • Them
      Them
      Bronze
      I went from 2k -> 300d with tilting....3 months later im 5k roll right now. So its not a biggie....when you know you can beat the stakes you can just build your br again and not tilt again. Its a good lesson to almost lose your br every once in a while :) , thats how i learned brm...

Also I didnt go completely broke since i got 400d rb from my doomswitch month....
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I think a good player would never go broke as he would be following good brm. Besides that it would be easy to rebuild your bankroll seeing asyou would crush the lower limits..

I've been grinding for the last few weeks to follow really good BRM for once. (100BI BRM atleast). And i started with a $3 bankroll, i won't tell you where i am now though. You'll just have to wait for my blog post :D But yeah it's possible, just follow good BRM and it shouldn't happen.
    • Them
      Them
      Bronze
      100bi is way nitty brm....It doesnt really matter what your brm is if you are ready to move down when you need to...
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Well there is no moving down from $1 sng's so yeah 50 Buy ins isn't that save imo. Sng's are alot more swingy and it isn't that rare to lose 30 buy ins if you run really bad. the only sng's below $1 are the $0,25 45 mans. And i'd rather grind to $100 on those and be comfortable playing at $1's then playing them at $50 and then running way below EV and then i won't be comfortable playing with like 20 buy ins.

better safe then sorry imo.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      it's one of the worst feelings i know... losing it all. long time since that happened though :)
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      lol @ name of thread --> it should be used as name of movie or South Park episode :)
    • Effanongen
      Effanongen
      Bronze
      I don't get the obsession with moving up when its easily doable to make a living even in the most expensive of countries playing NL25. If you're making a better winrate and being able to play more tables, why not stay.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Effanongen
      I don't get the obsession with moving up when its easily doable to make a living even in the most expensive of countries playing NL25. If you're making a better winrate and being able to play more tables, why not stay.
      Ugh.. i don't know.. maybe to make more money with less amount of hours needed to play and not be ashamed of playing micros for a living?
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      pros @ NL25? like that asian SSS bots in pokerstars, playing like 1.5M hands per month? LOL...
    • advola
      advola
      Bronze
      i went from $3000 to 50$ after withdrawed to much and tiltin abcource
      but grinded that 50$ in from 45ppl sngs to Super turbos (1$)
      and then to nl25 and up till 8000$ after 2 mounts and 220 hours of play...
      but if i went broke from the 50$ i was probebly goona use my ft points
      (50k at that time)

that was not eazy to grind from the lowest , but it was a great feeling to recover big time....

btw: doyle said he went broke more time then he can count
      and mike matusow 7 times
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      Matusow is an alcoholic drug addict though going broke is like what they do.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Effanongen

Imo if you stay at the same limit for too long you will probably stop trying to improve after a while. I think it should always be your goal to move up, not only because you could make more money. But there will be better players from which you could learn from. And eventhough your $/hour might be horrible at a higher limit.

When you move back down to your usual limit. You will crush those players even more badly.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I've started with zero 4 times but I've never been broke, just withdrew or moved the money about (it was a challenge bet); however, I was down to 69c last Christmas. :)
      As for moving up, I think some people may enjoy the comfort zone of playing where they know they can win and earn a 'decent' amount, that being different for each person. Moving up can be scary and maybe hit your confidence if it all goes tits-up. You can of course still learn and improve at your current limit, making it even easier to win there. I also think there is a learning (or even psychological) limit most of us reach whereby we are perhaps just not able to strech out ability any further. It's a bit like some people being able to pass GCSE or A levels, but not being able to pass a degree. Just my 2c for what it's worth.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pinnryder
      I don't think it's possible to go broke when you really use strict and solid BRM...
      true story :D
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      I almost went broke tonight. Deposited $70 two weeks ago, built it up to $130 playing 2NL FR and 5NL SH.

Today I decided to play some 50NL HU because I love HU so much. Started out great, got to $210 then I started losing... I made a few bad plays, started chasing my losses and eventually dropped to $38.

Feels terrible, especially since this wasn't the first time. Upside is that this time at least I've got enough left to start the 2NL grind again... -_-
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Doyle went broke many times because he advocates playing with as low as 10bi bankroll management if I recall correctly. True story. Read super system.