"Poker robot project"... are you kidding me?

• EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      So a guy contacted me recently with a project. He wants me to make him a poker robot to play sng with the option of choosing limits and what tables NOT to join (if it's shark infested, robot not gogo :) ). Make it look like a human, he said, to click randomly on the table, like a real person would do. In short, he wants a software that automatically makes him money. I said I won't do it out of more reasons, one of which is that I think this would give him an unfair advantage, because he wouldn't spend as much time studying and actually playing the game as a real player has to. I haven't given him the final answer yet, but I don't think there is any doubt what I'm gonna say.

I find this situation a bit strange, because although I'm still a huge newbie, I started to understand how hard it actually is to grind your way up, handle the beats, swings and the feeling of going broke. I think that if someone came to me with this idea, there must be someone else that already put it into practice, at least for <5$ Sngs. Don't poker rooms block this kind of software? It's weird for me, being at the beginning of a computer programmer career and also trying out poker.

I just find this an interesting topic to discuss with players and maybe some programmers/players with more experience than me. I don't want people to start flaming here or start saying they lose because there are huge numbers of bots out there already. Like I said, I believe poker rooms have enough security to block this kind of software.

What do you think of this?
  • 24 replies
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      There are plenty of projects like that on the net. Most big clients are blocking it and banning the accounts.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      I could probably code one but there is really no point because it is not guaranteed to make you money and it will be blocked very quickly. As well as being against the terms of the website.

Don't even consider it because it is against the terms of the poker site.
    • extpan
      extpan
      Bronze
      I see robot playing 28 sng on pokerstsars and all automated,supernova status,and very very sick volume od about 78k sample roi 3%
    • manatta
      manatta
      Bronze
      yes thats rs03rs03
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Bronze
      There already is pokerbots out there. One of my friends actually uses one. He just sets it to grind micro stakes for 8 hours a day, and make money collecting rake pretty much since the bot breaks even for the most part.

It's funny though he used it on FTP once and went broke in 20k hands.

Either way that's a retarded request. I dislike cheating, however the luck factor of poker makes it too complicated for a bot to really play properly.
    • qwery1
      qwery1
      Bronze
      FTP is different :-)
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TobyCS
      Don't even consider it because it is against the terms of the poker site.
      Not all poker sites. I haven't checked in a while, but there was a time when Cake Poker was not banning bots.
    • freelancerpoker
      freelancerpoker
      Basic
      I don't think that a bot will have more luck than a man.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by freelancerpoker
      please explain
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      please explain
      +1
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Writing a poker bot is relatively simple, and as explained before has been done on numerous occasions and I don't doubt there are bots out there making people a decent wage.

However, the problems begin when the 'cat and mouse' chase begins, when the sites start adding there detection mechanisms, such as poker stars. Still, its quite possible to get round if you want to put the effort in. (Whilst perhaps the most inefficient method, the most undetectable method would be an invisible screenscraping bot that employed human like mouse algorithms for movement and clicking).

After all this, you have to consider making the bot a winning bot, for micros this might not be so hard, basic hand ranges and a tag approach would probably result in profit.

In my opinion the best area for a bot is in super turbos, whilst the swings are tough, this is the easiest area for a mathematical approach to be profitable. By using methods such as ICM, its possible to make a break-even, perhaps even winning bot, which would reap you profits in the long run through RB (you could perhaps 15 table and since you can knock down superturbos in like ~20minutes a piece or something, alls good).

However, if anyone is to do this, it will be for some quick cash or simply for the programming/poker math experience. Whilst this may help grind you to higher limits, you are probably going to get crushed and lose it all. It would also be very stupid for anyone to give away or sell this bot cheaply, as it becomes both a target for the poker sites and very exploitable by players.

As a programmer, I find the concept of writing a bot thrilling, as a poker player I find that the experience of writing a bot is a bit of a learning curve, and would certainly help me with learning some more about poker math. However, apart from the small financial gain I see nothing else good, and if I was to write a bot I certainly wouldn't share it as it would become pointless.

I don't really think this is the sort of forum where bot discussion should take place, I also think the poker scene is better off without bots, and that the game is much more rewarding to those who are willing to learn and grind it out. I can't imagine a bot moving up limits all the way to durrrr's table, but theres nothing stopping you...?

Good luck in both your poker and programming career, if you do ever write any bots/simulations, let me know how your doing, would be nice to hear about a winning bot, even if I don't particularly aprove of them!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Nice post fusionpk! :)

I'm more interested in developing my poker skills than studying to code a robot for some random guy. As you pointed out, as a programmer I find it a good challenge but totally not worth my time.

What I've noticed in this thread is that there are a lot of programmers in the PS.com community. Be sure I'll give you guys a call if I need any help regarding that. :f_cool:

LE: I also think this thread can be closed. Thx!
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Hi I've check a couple out and they do work against donkeys but if you play a solid game against them they lose more than they win as they are very exploitable and predictable. Out of the 2 I tried the Shanky holdem bot was the best but I would say that any reasonable play should be able to beat it, so its better just to study the articles on ps and play your self. who needs a bot to beat a donkey its the tag u have to beat and bot can't do it imo.
    • freelancerpoker
      freelancerpoker
      Basic
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      please explain
      I see there are alot of strategy to play poker well. But if you even know and use well all the strategy, you can not control everything happen on the poker table.
    • L3ST
      L3ST
      Bronze
      Almost unrelated to the topic, but I sense this is the best place to ask.

Someone mentioned about poker rooms blocking robots that don't make any type of mouse/keyboard movement. If that's possible, could a Wireless Poker Controller ( I'm pretty sure I'm now alowed to link it ) be misinterpreted as a bot? I'm asking because I'm thinking about buying myself one and I wouldn't want it to be the worst investement I make in poker ( as in getting my account shut down ).
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by L3ST
      Almost unrelated to the topic, but I sense this is the best place to ask.

Someone mentioned about poker rooms blocking robots that don't make any type of mouse/keyboard movement. If that's possible, could a Wireless Poker Controller ( I'm pretty sure I'm now alowed to link it ) be misinterpreted as a bot? I'm asking because I'm thinking about buying myself one and I wouldn't want it to be the worst investement I make in poker ( as in getting my account shut down ).
      No, by that they generally mean that it uses the programs functions or API to basically do everything, for example instead of actually moving the mouse to click fold it will simply execute the fold method within the poker client. This is obviously quite detectable. Im not sure what they are like on mouse moving algorithms, I doubt they detect any unhuman movement else programs like tableninja would get people banned.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I still think Durrrr is a bot...
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze
      I think bruteforcing some passwords should be more profitable and much more easy to accomplish :s_evil:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jehudas
      I think bruteforcing some passwords should be more profitable and much more easy to accomplish :s_evil:
      And a healthy dose of prison bitch when you get caught.