• MoreBeat
      hi :P

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, A.
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) Q, 4, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.95) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.50, MP1 calls $0.90.

River: ($3.95) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.85, MP1 calls $4.85.

Final Pot: $13.65.

so. at first i thought my play was rather good. but now that ive stopped to think about it, im not so sure anymore. and the more i think the more i find my mind going in circles.

i check/called flop because i was out of position and without the initiative. i check/raised turn to get the more value from worse hands and to protect mine from another diamond in case he had a draw. besides that i stole the initiative and as it would seem weak to just check/something river, i push (although maybe a smaller bet would suffice?).

now it seems like it would be better to :
      1) 3-bet preflop (c-bet flop, ..) or
      2) check/raise flop (bet turn, check/call river)
      what i think is, as it was played, it was quite obvious i had a Q, while his hand kind of remained hidden..

any comment would be helpful. thanks in advance.

ps: no info on the player as this was in rush poker.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well first thing I notice is he actually 4x'd it preflop, instead of raising pot or 3x. Since he also has a full stack I'd say chances are he's some kind of reg until proven otherwise.

From there I wouldn't really 3-bet especially in rush, if you do you're bluffing really because he'll only continue with a range against which you're in bad shape. I like the call.

On the flop he should bet virtually everything he open-raised with so I like the check/call.

On the turn your opponent showed strength by betting twice on a relatively dry board, chances are he has at worse Qx or a decent draw, at best a KK+/sets. When you check/raise that turn it's pretty similar to preflop, you're basically saying "ahah it looks like you have Qx but I don't care I'm raising", which actually makes your hand look a lot stronger than it actually is and might convince your opponent to fold everything that you beat or close to it. Maybe when in doubt he peels the raise with the better Qx hands and flushdraws figuring you might be drawing too or something. I'd just check/call again.

On the river given the range we gave villain on the turn you're now behind flushdraws and QJs, so really you beat KQ and that's about it. Not to mention that by shoving that diamond river you're over-repping your hand even more, you're repping like sets and backdoored flushes at that point, it's very very unlikely you ever get him to call it off with a worse hand in my opinion. I'd either make some kind of blockbet that KQ can call and fold to a shove or plain check/fold, best option being to just not put yourself into that spot to begin with.

Hope it helps.