home game strategy HELP!

• Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      hey there, been playing in the same homegame for a few months once every week, need help formulating a strategy to beat it consistently (already win more than my fair share but its not enough)

first off ill break down the style it is. usually 20 dollar buyin.

-tourney starting with 10 000, blinds 50-100, doubling every 30 mins.

-anywhere between 4-7 players, usually about 5.

-winner takes all, no prize for 2nd place, rebuying in is allowed for the first hour (although i almost never buy in if i lose)

-all players are EXTREMELY passive before the flop, limp any 2 cards, a raise is basically always a minraise (except from me of course), raises are usually always called.

-2 players are maniac types bluffing any chance they get

-no tight aggressive players (except myself)

i have started to limp in alot with shit hands cos usually there is no raise behind, and if there is its just another big blind.

oh one more thing, when the blinds get really high (like i have 10bb in my stack), allin shoves are usually called by something like Q7s because "its a good hand", making shoves with small pocket pairs a little dicey.

anyone have any tips or strategy info that would be suitable for a game such as this? note that people in this game tend to call bets with not much rather than fold (but also have no problem hitting ragged two pairs because they limp in with trash (and call raises with it)

thanks in advance for any replys

p.s. only have reads on one player who basically i can read like a book now so i got him sussed
  • 9 replies
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      It's very simple, hit hand - raise, hit flop, raise 70% pot or go all-in. If turn is well, then go all-in. Of course do it if you got like top combination and you're 88,88% sure that your opponents can't beat you.

Remember, they're nubs. :D

Xidjo
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      tight is right
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      Early stages: Pocket pairs, suited connectors etc go up in value. Even playing random trash like 74s should turn out well for you. Even limping in early position to try to hit your hand since you are never getting raised. Make sure your stack is above 50bb when doing this so basically only for the first 2 levels.

After the spec hand phase is over tighten up a lot. Standard TAG poker applies. Abandon the continuation bet completely unless you have at least a pair or Ace high on a dry board.

Late stages you are getting low and pushing or folding. Since all the money goes to first, only making the correct chip ev decisions matters. Standard pushing ranges are balanced with semi-bluff hands like 65 suited. Abandon the semi bluff hands. Opponents that call with Q7s are probably calling at least 40% and probably more hands. Value town them with Ax most Kx and pairs.

Against the maniac bluffers, try making a weak-looking small bet into them. This way when they try to bluff you their bluffs will be bigger and you will make more money. Second pair is not to be abandoned against this player.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      thanks for the info guys it actually helped a bit !!!

although i still got owned, ill let u in on what happened just so you can see exactly what im up against.....

im chip leader after valuebetting good hands etc (btw in case u hadnt noticed these guys CARE NOT for a kicker!)

anyways, i raise A9o from button and get 3 callers as per usual, flop comes AA5, the guy who i can read like a book raises big and i know he has an ace, but meh im the bigstack so i put him all in. turns out he has A6 and i have him crushed, untill he rivers a 6.

doesnt matter i still have 15 bb after the blinds go up, everyone rarely folds except the sb who limps in (im bb), this player is exceptionally shit so i go allin with 55 (he has about 5 bb left). he calls me with J7o and hits a jack, down to around 10 bb.

i manage to claw my way back a bit by bullying them with allins (particularly effective as there is usually a limper in with a trash hand also) , going well about 13 bb..... 2 people limp to me in the sb with A8s, i go all in, and get called (basically everyone is shortstack due to blind increases now) with - get this - Q2o. of course he hits a 2 to knock me out

just thought id share that as its fairly typical of how these games go.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You are like literally describing my live games! Let me guess... gutshot calls made on a regular because they "only need one card to complete the straight", backdoor flushes are again always called because "they are holding two suited cards" so they think they have more chances. Is there any chance some articles on live poker can be written on PS.com? Basically about home games and how to exploit typical mistakes made by players described by Escobario.

Oh yeah... another thing that usually happens in the games I play is this:

I guy gets something like AK, AQ, minraises it of course, gets called by a bunch of players. He doesn't catch anything on the flop, but he c-bets, of course, like the big players do in the WSOP. He gets called by almost everyone, turn or river brings A, K, Q, giving preflop raises TP and all the money goes in. Of course TP is well beat, so a guy more than doubles up and one is knocked out. I find it difficult to play in a 4 or 5 handed game with something like 40bb against a <100bb willing to push almost any flop. I mean, if I had 15-20bb I would call a lot, but a 40bb stack is still decent. Any thoughts on this?
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      LMAO at ur last paragraph that minraise shit is so true... i think 40bb is still fine, just valuebet ur good hands try to keep the pot smallish with just TPTK cos u know other top pairs or gutshots will call any bet and maybe suckout. if they are shoving over u or something (this is quite rare in my games, usually they will just minraise then call ur reraise) then u gotta work out what their shoving range is and call if u think u have them.... i think it depends more on the person who is doing it, if its a maniac his range could be midpairs upwards, if its one of the older guys who has just seen ESPN poker and is a newb, then fold anything less than TPTK and even then id think about folding

40bb still enough to wait for decent hands and valuebet, problem is when the blinds start getting massive (like biggest stack at the table is 20bb) and they feel the need to call ANY allin bet if they have so much as any 2 suited cards or any cards above 9, or one king or queen or ace.

this shouldnt be a problem cos u get it all in with decent chance to win, just sucks when they suckout huh :D

oh one tip, often in my games i assume urs too, people will minraise on the flop/turn with top pair or w/e, so u actually get brilliant odds for hitting flushes and straights. just gotta identify who the maniacs are that u should let hang themself when u hit ur draw, and who the calling stations are that u gotta reraise and bet into.

typically i find these games really easy but i get sucked out on and lose. its just a little bit more dicey with a smallish pocket pair with short stacks, cos u know the chances are they have 2 overcards to your pair, and they are probably gonna call, so do u take ur chances with the slightly better than coinflip? or do u wait and get sucked away by the blinds?

with any luck at all i usually win.

p.s. my pet peeve atm is the guy who when its his turn to show his hand at the showdown, just shows one card... like "pair of aces" and wont show kicker untill i (in position) show him my ace so he shows the kicker... iv taken to just blankly staring at him until he sometimes shows both then i muck or flip my winning hand.... dude seems to think it goes to and fro.... like "can u beat my 7 high flush? oh u can? well i also have the ace of clubs too" ... asshole.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      oh and by the way to the guy who said "tight is right" and the guy who said "standard tag poker applies"

if the game is down to 4 handed or something, then u cant really do this, because even complete spastics realise ur folding most hands as u stick out like a sore thumb, everyone else is limping and ur folding. so when u hit a hand and raise big, they get scurred and fold. u gotta show some action and show a couple bluffs i think. different if its fullring, but only 3 opponents can easily adjust to you being tight/aggressive in a 4 handed game even if they are shit at poker
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice. One thing I noticed is that the people I play with don't have scared cards. I mean, if there are 3 suited on the board, they won't think you have a flush... the same with straight cards. So usually flush or straight is nuts in this game. Just shove it if both your pocket cards play for straight or flush. I think I'm gonna post more situations I run into when I get the chance to play some more... Maybe we can learn something from each other's homegames.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      sounds good..

i remember another thing, most the people in my game NEVER raise preflop, if they do its a minraise, and only ONLY ONLY do it with AK, KK, AA, maaaaybe AQ but unlikely, so whenever im faced with a raise by one of these guys i chuck the extra bb in and try and hit twopair or something to stack them.

difficulty here is knowing when they have limped JJ or watever and hit a jack