NL2 big pots

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I'm having a constant problem since I've started playing cash tables regularly (up to now I always played tournaments and sit and gos).

I play for example 10-15 tables at the same time and in my typical session I end up breaking even in around half the tables, make 10-25% profit on 1/3 of the tables and losing around 50% at one or two tables. This ends up with me barely making $0-5 from all those tables in the session.

Is this a normal spread? Seems like I can't avoid a donk taking a big pot in any session. The problem is that it seems I always end up losing big pots to donks and can't ever get donks to play when I have an unbeatable pot.

I'm making the right reads, ie on the showdown I'm almost always right about what I thought the donk had to catch his gutshot straight, gutshot flush, river two pair, etc. Is this just normal variance or am I doing something wrong. Putting to much money in pots where I'm ahead? Should I avoid shoves from donks and small stacks when I'm ahead?

The sessions where I make $5-10, which is what I'd be making most sessions without getting donked, are really few, less then 10% of my total sessions. Will luck tend more my way sometime or should I get used to this in NL2 or should I avoid big pots altogether unless I've really got the nuts?
  • 5 replies
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Why should you play big pots with anything else but the nuts? Secondly, I know you think you can easily play so much tables at once, but trust me, I've been there, you can't.

I went from 12-15 tables to 6 and my winrate has skyrocketed. Why? I see little tendencies so much faster now (I thought I spotted them while 15 tabling too, but that's just a lie you're telling yourself)
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      You can grind SSS with tons of tables, but then you'll mostly go breakeven and you're income will be from rakeback and bonuses.

Or you can reduce the tables, get less bonuses but play a better quality poker.
      Especially playing BSS you need the reads and to understand the table, 12/16 tabling is not a wise choice.

Edit:
      My experience.

I used to 12 tables SSS and the winnings were poor, but in bewtween wins and rake wasn't too bad.

Then I've switched to BSS and started playing 4 tables while adapting to the new game, eventually I've become more confident and started 6 tabling.

When I've moved up to NL10 I've switched back to 4 table while adapting to the new bets and player and now I'm on 6 tables again. It's working fine, but I definitely feel like I'm going more for volume and missing reads at times, you cant really follow decently 40 players.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies, I'll try reducing the number of tables, and see what my ROI is there. I thought with so much little money in play more tables = more return (I have a good bankroll for the micros from winnings of tourneys).

I see what you guys mean. When 12-15 tabling you can only really pick up who are the real fish, but not so much about the weaknesses of the other average players.

Cash tables really have been difficult for me to master. I've been playing for 2 years and had only been able to make money in tourneys till the latest try I've made to hit cash tables (started again about a month ago).
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NIVEKii
      Why should you play big pots with anything else but the nuts?
      The main problem here I think is that the small stacks get pot committed most of the time, and that also makes me have no other choice but to call. For example on a pot that's already around $1, if a small stack shoves his remaining $0.50 or $1.00 and I think or know I'm ahead, it would be ridiculous not to call and let him take an uncontested $1 pot. Is this correct thinking or should I be folding anyway if I don't have the nuts?

Sigh. It just seems they end up bettering their hand too much of the time in these important pots.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      if a player shoves $1 in a $1 pot, you are by no means pot commited :)