Big tourney wins, move up in buy in or keep playing the same?

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Should one move up using the bankroll rules when one wins big? (which would mean skipping several buyin levels)

Or should you consider the winnings "profit" and keep playing the same level you were at?

Or separate a bit of the winnings and move up conservatively ie up one level?
  • 3 replies
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      If you KNOW you can beat the higher levels, go ahead. Most people originally have too small bankroll for MTTs though, 200 buy-ins is generally good guideline. So try the limit where you have 200 BI?
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I'm a sucker for it and moved up. But I guess in the higher limits you should beat the game before moving up.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      That depends. For example, if you play cash, I suggest moving up level-by-level, beating every level on a mid-sized sample, but in the tourney buy-ins, I guess you can move up several at once. For example I'm playing $2-3 tourneys but if I win big I'm pretty sure that I'll rarely start on anything smaller than an $11 tourney.

Tournaments have high volatility so beating all buyin levels would be pretty insane. However, lets say you win a Sunday 1/4 Million and get $25000+. I don't think that means that now you can start grinding $100 and $200 tournaments, but its fine to move aggressively on the lower limits.