[NL2-NL10] QQ on the button vs. BB reraise

• Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Hero ($589.36)
      BB ($163.86)

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:diamond: , Q:spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $7.00, SB folds, BB raises to $12.00, Hero raises to $44.00, BB calls $32.00.

reraise ok?

Flop: ($89.00) 4:spade: , 3:heart: , J:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $55, BB calls $55.00.

check behind? Raise more?

Turn: ($199.00) Q:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $65, BB raises to $64.86 (All-In).

River: ($328.86) 5:heart:

Final Pot: $328.86
  • 8 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think that it is played fine.

You didn´t post any stats for BB, but even if he is tight, you should be ahead pre-flop and protecting your hand is fine. On the flop you have overpair and it is easy bet/all-in, because BB checked, he didn´t pushed pre-flop and flop is very good. I think that almost 2/3 pot size bet is fine. He can´t call you with overcards, if he decide to call with jx, or middlepair then it commits him. Only hand that beat you´ll there should be JJ, or KK, AA if he decided to sloplay them. And even if he pushes, I would call, because you should be ahead most of the time.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Any idea of BB's range having called your 4-bet?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      I think not many hands call that bet here. I think the range is JJ+, AQ+ at most. A bad player might call even with a smaller pocket pair. Against the JJ+, AQ+ range I'm a 53-47 favourite on that flop.
      I didn't have any stats from BB because we had played only a few hands.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      I'd check behind on the flop.

Thinking in terms of risk versus reward lets consider the flop play. Bet or check?

We assume that villain plays AQ+,JJ+ and that we have 50% equity on the flop.Our PE is therefore 1/2 pot on flop. We also suppose that there is 4/3 psb left to bet on further streets.

Villain holds AQ+ 24 ways, JJ+ 15 ways. ie. 24 times we have 75% equity and 15 times we have 10% (roughly).

We further assume that any reasonable bet commits us to the pot and that villain will fold his A-high hands.

<EV,bet>=24/39*1 (ie.villain folds) +15/39[(-4/3*90%) + (7/3*10%)] (ie.we get action)

= 0.24 (in units of pot-size on flop )

What we lose in equity by betting is about the same as what we lose by checking (assuming villain has AK). This means that even if we were to check and subsequently fold should any A or K come off the deck then we would be no worse off than betting. What we stand to gain however is the possibility to pick-off bluffs and to not preclude the possibility of the BB playing his hand incorrectly. I hope this makes sense.

This analysis is by no means exhaustive and is only to be taken as a rough guide. With this in mind we could say that subject to the above assumptions our option to bet is stategically dominated by our option to check.
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      If you can put him on this range than all in preflop seems to be a good options, saves u tough decisions on later streets. Even against AKs ur slight favorite plus ur getting some fold equity, only KK+ beats u.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi rubysilesia!

I cannot put him all-in preflop because if I raise that big only KK+ and maybe AK call me. I put him on that JJ+, AQ+ range after he called my 4-bet.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Bronze
      Got another approach to this problem. Think of his range as a set of possible hands, so:

- 16 AK ( 4suits * 4suits), 16 AQ =
      - 3 JJ (C(3,2)), 1 QQ, 6 KK(C(4,2)), 6 AA

So there are 32(AQ+) hands that we beat (75% equity), 1 hand that is neutral and 15 hands that beats us (10%) so its profitable to bet on the flop coz most of the time he holds the hand that we most likely beat.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I would reraise to like 36-40 preflop. On the flop i would check behind i think because now i also lose to JJ and this way i can allow him to get frisky (as tuff fish says) with A high.No draws are possible either so the only scarecards would be AK.
      However with this minraise preflop and assuming he is rather bad since he doesnt play with a full stack i would most of the times put him on a low/medium pocket. After his call to the big reraise i would think he mostly holds 99-JJ.