Having problems with setting parents poor mindset

• jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      So let me start with the beginng!i m a 19 years old guy who really loves playing poker and crushing souls!i m on this nice community for about 2 years reading,learning etc since one week ago used to use my friend user!so... for about 2 years i m facing problems with my parents trying to tell them i play poker and trying to explain them i m not gambling!when i lose, 80% of the time means variance!ok they saw me few times playing poker and they insta tilted!they shout at me telling weird things and wanted never see me again gambling...its a bit annoying since i tried to explain them what i m doing and they even didn t care much or more...they told me i ll face many problems with them if i continue t do that...so i m frustrated...in the night i m w8ing 4 my mother to go to sleep and them play poker...every time i m trying to avoid them seeing me playing poker!
      I think i m not the only guy dealing with this problem and about them who are/were the same what did u do to make them understand?
      Please dont spam i want some serious answuers to solve my problem!thx
      Btw sorry 4 my bad english!
      Best of
  • 35 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      The best thing to do is, withdraw money from your bankroll and then buy them something really nice. Chances are though your bankroll isn't big enough for that..

Else just try to explain them bankroll management and the strategy behind poker..
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Wow that sounds bad :/

Where are you from? Is it a common thought in your country or its just your parents?
    • Southofheaven
      Southofheaven
      Bronze
      You're 19, why would you care?
      Buy them something from poker money and they might become less annoying.

My 2cents.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      My 2cents.

He will need alot of those to buy them something nice! :D

GET IT?!? 2 CENTS?!?!

No.. ? not funny.. ? X(
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      I m romanian guy...lets say they have more or less comunism education!they work a lot to make money and when they saw me playing poker they thought its something like roulete or bingo......i tried to explain them several times but they dont want to understand me...and i care about that because yet i need them to pay uni next year and yea true my bankroll its not big because of lack of time...always i m something like hit and run...lets say they give me average 100-150$/month and i m sure with theirs suport i can make easily 3 times around per month!any ideas guys?something more constructive?elaborated?they are hard mindseted...
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      My 2cents.

He will need alot of those to buy them something nice! :D

GET IT?!? 2 CENTS?!?!

No.. ? not funny.. ? X(
      This made me laugh hard:) )!
      But back...my problem is serious and i really want to solve it!
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Play when you have the chance, win, withdraw, show them the winnings.

Once they see you're actually making money in the long run, they'll stop bothering you.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      If you have money then i don't see a problem w that, lots of thing you could do like move out and play whenever you want. If you don't have money then i guess they may have a point.
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      And how to show them my long run winnings if i dont have the time to play to?i have many leaks that i do know but cant fix them...and every time theyre coming in my room i have to shutdown poker...
      Any ideas!i really apreciate if u dealed something like that and now its all about past...tell me ur secret
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      If you have money then i don't see a problem w that, lots of thing you could do like move out and play whenever you want. If you don't have money then i guess they may have a point.
      The problem with that is cause i want to play tracked...and lets say my bankroll its a bit above 300mark...not to much and i dont want to withdraw because all of u know...want to move up but this is my big buba:) )
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I am of the opinion that poker is one of those things you must do alone. So many people are closed minded to such a thing that it becomes difficult to find any support for it. Before giving up on your parents I would try to use an analogy such as the following:

We flip a coin; if you win you get $1 but if I win I get $2. If we make this flip over and over and over again eventually I will be up hundreds or even thousands of dollars. This is what I am doing on poker as well. People online are stupid and don't know how to play the game. They make mistakes and I profit. In the long term this is not just gambling, but a source of income just like the coin flip example is.

If this example does not work then just explain to them that poker is a source of entertainment and that you aren't even depositing your own money onto it.

Hope this helps
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noclaninator
      I am of the opinion that poker is one of those things you must do alone. So many people are closed minded to such a thing that it becomes difficult to find any support for it. Before giving up on your parents I would try to use an analogy such as the following:

We flip a coin; if you win you get $1 but if I win I get $2. If we make this flip over and over and over again eventually I will be up hundreds or even thousands of dollars. This is what I am doing on poker as well. People online are stupid and don't know how to play the game. They make mistakes and I profit. In the long term this is not just gambling, but a source of income just like the coin flip example is.

If this example does not work then just explain to them that poker is a source of entertainment and that you aren't even depositing your own money onto it.

Hope this helps
      Nice point of view!that coin ideea its nice and the second one even nicer!i ll try to explain them imade some $$$from my no deposit bonus:D when i ll bring my mother io good shape i ll try to explain her...thy mate
      If u have any ideas i ll read them happy!
    • Darkzzz
      Darkzzz
      Black
      Get a lock on your door :f_grin:
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Darkzzz
      Get a lock on your door :f_grin:
      Definetly+ev but no key for my chamber:) ))) so-ev!from now i think buying a laptop would be +++++ev...so nxt goal its a 1k aim ++ to buy a laptop telling them how i bought it and then i think my prblms will be for the old past...atleast this is what i like to think about my ideea:) ))
    • Skyscrapers
      Skyscrapers
      Bronze
      I'd rather try to bluff a calling station than trying to explain my parents anything about poker.
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skyscrapers
      I'd rather try to bluff a calling station than trying to explain my parents anything about poker.
      I think some time ago i used to think same like u but they really care about what i m doing so as i said they think this is bingo and they dont let me play anymore so i have to explain them or avoid them every time wich is so frustrating trust me.... Sick situation...i ve got bored about it and now i m thinking at some tricks to finish that sickness....
    • jakosamlud
      jakosamlud
      Bronze
      Just tell them that you got 50$ free and that you won't deposit your own money if you go broke. It worked for me.
    • Skyscrapers
      Skyscrapers
      Bronze
      They do care, but you can't explain them anything about poker anyway. you cant reconfigure their mindset about poker being bad thing, at least i don't think it's possible. get a job and work on your game in your spare time and maybe you'll make it. GL
    • jhustincase
      jhustincase
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jakosamlud
      Just tell them that you got 50$ free and that you won't deposit your own money if you go broke. It worked for me.
      I ll try this!it is suposed to work...if they dont understand i ll play hard in the night shis something nice and than tell them and dont care if theyre ok or not with that...but it will be suposed that they will not bring me moneys for myself anymore...so i ll see!btw guys u really helped me!thx thread stays open 4 other ideas