Can you imagine to be a professional poker player?

• Poll
    • Can you imagine to be a successful poker player?

Yes
        63%
        No
        37%
      Total: 112 Votes
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      All of you started with the $50 starting capital from PokerStrategy and learned to play poker. By doing so you increased your bankroll and climbed up the limits. The side effect - you are earning money - leads to the question: Do you think you can play poker for a living? Can you imagine to be a professional poker player? Or will poker stay a hobby as it is so far?
  • 29 replies
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      I sure can imagine being a pro poker player. It's one possible future I might have. Keeping my options open, just to be safe.

But for that to be a reality I should choose poker as my primary profession and I'm not sure I want to do that as of yet. So, I think that it'll stay as a secondary income for me. Or if I do manage to get myself to be a successful poker player (Success = >$3000 per mo) I might just do other things for fun.
    • sismis
      sismis
      Bronze
      Maybe i would play better if i wouldnt be playing tired after work. But its very swingy road so its hard to relly on poker money. So for now only job i make with my poker play is at party/titan/PS with my rake :)
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Yea.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by undercover82
      Yea.
      Why? :D
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Technically i am already making enough to support myself , at least for greek standards (Would be in a lot better shape if i didnt get squashed in NL1K SSS which set me back a month or two). Since i am not happy with the studies that i follow , i can very well imagine poker being my source of income with which i will probably support my needs and any business plans that come to my mind.
      Plus i dont really like the thought of being on a strict job schedule and having to answer to superiors for everything. I am anxious enough already as it is.
      If i reach a point where i will be making 10k/month on average i will be more than satisfied.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I can't image it myself but it could be a good 2nd income for sure. :)
      The problem is that I'm way to lazy and the fact that it isn't totally legal. :/
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I can´t imagine, I´m just not that good:) There aren´t no easy money in the poker, whether you are playing FL, NL BSS or NL SSS. With every upswing there comes downswing and if I´m pro, then it is very hard if there are loosing sessions. Now it is just good enterntainment and I still can develop and learn. But like Ohmu said, if I would someday earn 3000$ per mounth, then it is very hard to go work for 1500$. But I´ll probably invest mostly my profets, no point gambling with it:)
    • abzupfer
      abzupfer
      Bronze
      Read the Ed Miller Post about the future of online poker. Bots - especially colluding bots - might be the biggest threat to us. If you see how quickly the situation has been changing the last years, who knows whether online poker will be what it is in 3 years, or in 10.

Therefore imho nobody should rely on poker only.

Apart from that, I like the thought of going Pro. But I'm not good enough yet :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Even If I were good, playing poker wouldn't be my job. I think my girlfriend and/or family wouldn't support not-going-to-job :)
      But like someone else said... It could be nice 2nd income with a hobby :)
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      I would like it, although I'm clearly not good enough yet. Sure, I could go along with the average 9 to 5 job, but why do that if you can make (more) money out of something you actually like to do? Sure, there will be downswings, but every pro has to deal with that. If you can't do that, this question is irrelevant because being a pro implies that you can cope with loss, but have faith in your system nonetheless and know that you're an overall winner.
      I'm actually looking to see where this goes here. I have education to back up if I don't succeed, but if I can manage to make a decent living out of poker, I'm already sure what my preference would be. One thing's sure though, I'll probably play for the rest of my life unles I go terribly bankrupt :)
    • Barne
      Barne
      Bronze
      I can imagine it, but i really don't want to go after that day dream for it doesn't seem that much fun to me to play poker all day long for a living. So if i could slowly build up and earn an extra bit of cash each month that would be good enough for me, even if it's just $100 or something smaller i don't mind really i play more for fun and for perfecting my own strategy (which has a looooooong way to go!). I envy my career as trainer/coach/therapist more and seems to be a lot more fun to me even if it has less potential income.

Also it's the question if it'll still be legal to play online poker after januari over here. I don't fancy the 40%+ tax that will be in effect at the only online place that will be legal if the goverment gets their way. That way it will be gambling since it's hard to even break even with such an insane tax, so if that will be the case i'll be sure to let go of online poker too.
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      I would love to. I consider this very seriously. I think in 1 or 2 years it can be significant source of income for me. Hopefully in future I will be good enough to do it exclusively. No boss, no fixed time schedule, playing the game I enjoy is very tempting.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      no. i´m too bad ;)
      a week ago i calculated what i could earn by playing 40h a week on 4-6 tables 2/4 sh fl. combined with rakeback and a bonus here and there it could be a reasonable (imo) amount of money but i just can´t play that much poker ^^. 2/4 is just a too low limit :)
      i enjoy playing poker and i like that i don´t have to work while i´m studying but i don´t think poker could be more than a hobby and a "nice" extra income for me.
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      I can not imagine, since I do not play enough. Sometimes I play no hands at all in one week (besides my coachings of course ;) ).

I want to play poker when I feel motivated for it, and I guess I couldn´t keep it up for maybe 40 hours or so a week.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Berliner, it seems kinda wrong if you put so much time into coaching and on forums evaluating hands and not playing poker for yourself.
      40 hours a week might be a little too much. But i think that an average of 2-3 hours a day can offer you a very nice income in longterm (If you can climb to something like NL400+ ). I believe 2-3 hours of poker at home is a lot easier than 8 hours @ work + the time to prepare and transport.
      The best option for me i think would be a combination of poker for a living and normal work even if you dont need it , in order to socialize and spend some productive time.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I would like to play poker as my main income, certainly online anyway. Do I have any realistic chance?

I don't know. Currently, though, I work shift work, so do 14x12 hour shifts on a five week roster. Half of those are night shifts, so I sleep through some of my days off. I live very close to where I work. And I get 52% extra in my pay because of the strange hours. So, I am in a good position to put the extra time into my poker study.

I get plenty of time to play this game, and I find myself improving. I can successfully play NL100 BSS at the moment, something I would have thought unlikely a few months ago. Like Undercover says, NL400 is plausible. If my BR ever extends to cover that, my winrate will be good enough to give my income a nice boost, and then, maybe not so difficult to go to the next level?
    • AlanBogdan
      AlanBogdan
      Bronze
      i think about this ... i`m not ready now ( some users know why :D :D :D ) i will be...untill then...back to battle:D
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi AlanBogdan!

If I were you I would think about that more carefully! Just for the people who don't know yet ;)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/wbb_en/thread.php?threadid=8432

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • abzupfer
      abzupfer
      Bronze
      The first things you need when going pro is Disciplin and Planning.

You have to cashout to support your living even in downswings and in case you have to go down in limits which is very different from just playing and increasing your bankroll.

There's a good post by Ed Miller on the topic, just google and be realistic. Nobody can tell me for sure what internet poker will be like in 10 years. Maybe everything is fine but maybe there's a lot of bots, collusion etc, maybe it becomes illegal, maybe something else ... so I would'nt rely on poker only; not before I have something like a million put aside. :D

ps. @AlanBogdan: Tried to read your posts. X( Punctuation is a form of disciplin :D