DON vs. SNG low level

• drdrab
      drdrab
      Bronze
      I've been playing a lot of SNG at low stakes and I get absolutely bewildered by some of the bad beats I get and I understand this happens but I want to know your opinions on Double or Nothings as a viable alternative.

I say this as I find it easy enough to get to the last 5 but when I am down to the last 8 or so blinds I am likely to get called by more marginal hands and hence why I get some bad beats.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Also, do you alter your BRM at all? Thoughts and advice please.
  • 10 replies
    • alberts1955
      alberts1955
      Bronze
      don't like DON's. u don't need much of a skill in those + u have to get in first 5 in 2 from 3 dons to get profit. so i don't think Dons are the best choice
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      I started $5 DoNs in early April I think, might have been March though, and frankly I didn't keep myself to the BRM, but I think its not necessary to have 50 buyins on that level.
      I have started it when I had $190 on my roll (in a $70 minus from SSS, I got fed up), and Im doing pretty well, a little bit above $350 now, and I have spent like $30 on tournaments. What my point is: I am pretty sure that the guys of pokerstrategy.com know it better than me, but I think the reason why they advise 50 buyins is that you can make mistakes by doing things that are standard in a normal SnG. You have to be able to lay down otherwise premium hands, and really-really adjust to your opponents.
      But of course, downswings can happen, I had 2 so far, one of them for more than 70-80 dollars, but my (short term!) experience is that if you can do your strategy solid, and if you do it right, a 250 dollar bankroll is unnecessarily huge for starting the $5 DoNs. However, I amj planning to build my roll up to $500 before moving up, obviously better players are waiting on the next level, so I'm not taking any chances.

What IS very important: don't start it if the buyin is scared money for you! I think thats one of the worst tilt forms.

Regards
      akrammon

(I play the turbo ones, dunno if it matters to you)
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      "u don't need much of a skill in those"

Thats my favourite line. If its so true, then why arent all the people grinding them? You need VERY DIFFERENT skills for a DoN.

By the way, I hope I can enlighten you: the $1 of Phil Ivey worth as much as the $1 of the worst fish. Why play against Ivey then? Try getting it from the fish.
      If a DoN is so easy, then it's easy money and it worth as much as any othzer money.

However, I agree that it can get pretty boring at times, but thats a different issue. Thats why Im using my DoNs to fuel my tourney buyins :)

"u have to get in first 5 in 2 from 3 dons to get profit."

Right... if you play 3... But if you play 100, you need to get in 53 or 55 to make a profit (rake depends whather its turbo or normal).
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      DON- 20BI downswing chances are equal to the chances that your pizza delivery boy is Phil Ivey;
      SNG- 20BI downswing is a common occurence, nothing special about it. 50BI+ downswing will hit you if you play enough.

DON- easy to play a trillion at the same time (multitable),
      SNG- harder to do, +you must focus a lot on tables with 4 players or less

DON- rather small ROI, i don't instant-believe anyone saying his ROI is bigger then 10%
      SNG- easy to completely crush at the micros and small stakes, 20%+ ROI is doable.

Strategy is somewhat similar, but i personally don't like DON's because they limit my agression later in the game (what do you mean i can't push AK into the chip leader for 5BB or fold KK to an all in? - i hate situations like these).

"u don't need much of a skill in those"

False. Do you concieve any situation where you fold let's say KK from BB when a player in the SB put you all in for your whole stack of 3BB and you are sure he is pushing any 2?

And i think they tend to be more filled with regulars because of lower variance.

One little detail remained: MONEY MANAGEMENT IS ESSENTIAL!!! DON't jump it! Ever!
    • drdrab
      drdrab
      Bronze
      ok thanks for that, the swings of normal SNG do get to me but I've had days where my ROI has been over 50% and then a day where I cash just once or something ridiculous and I'm making profit but it is disparaging to see a hard days work get obliterated by a bad start the next day.

I've played a few DON's in the last few days and whilst it is a smaller ROI I have found less variance and am cashing around 75% of the time.

However, I've only just started and don't have a big enough sample to see so I will mix it up and keep playing correct strategy :P
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Well, the 75% will get lower. No offense, it's just maths :) But its pretty cool to start something new with an upswing (I had the same a few months ago :) )
    • drdrab
      drdrab
      Bronze
      I always start with an upswing, that's why i get so annoyed when i start to downswing. But thanks for the advice and yeah I know I need to settle for realistic figures but it's nice to dream.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      lets say i have huge bankroll for 5$ DON, will i make more money than normal sng ?? 18 tables ffs
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      lets say i have huge bankroll for 5$ DON, will i make more money than normal sng ?? 18 tables ffs

I would say it depends on how you play it;-) There is actually a silver article about the topic^^

I really think it is the best game for beginners, IF and only IF you are able to folds KK or even AA. Though many people can't, which is your best advantage in this game:-) But the problem is that you can only double up, so as soon as you gain quite an edge over your opponents it is advisable to switch to other payout structures...

I think that PS should promote these games a bit better, these games taught me how to become tighter and tighter, when I just started playing online-poker it was like"should I REALLY fold my 44??", then it quite quickly became a "should I REALLY fold my AJ??" and so on....:-)
    • SSSC2NV
      SSSC2NV
      Bronze
      ^^ Thats great advice really... I've been doing a lot of studying recently, and to be honest, those are situations that I am failing at. I really need to work on taking my heart out of the game and focus strictly on the numbers that are tried and proven. No sense calling a 3Bet from the BTN just because 1 other guy did and im holding 66 hoping to hit a set on the flop. Every time I do hit the set, someones got a better set or a flush... its the laws of "Dont do stupid shit, and stupid shit wont happen to you" hahah