[NL2-NL10] KJs NL5Rush blinds hand reading and strange line

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I know the preflop is very marginal, i was planning on floating but then i got TP so tried to get to showdown and valuebet the river but maybe i should have just check called again.
      His line does not make sense or at least seems bad.
      I might see him playing 22 44 99 QQ KQ K9 like this and maybe Qx.
      The huge raise is a desperate value raise but it seems like he wants me to fold. But the price isn't good to call to catch bluffs right?
      Would you agree with this range?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $6.84
      SB:
      $2.26
      BB (Hero):
      $12.40
      MP2:
      $16.00
      MP3:
      $4.28
      CO:
      $4.48

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, K.
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.15, SB folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.32) 9, Q, 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.72) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.72, Hero calls $0.72.

River: ($2.16) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, BU raises to $5.77(All-In), Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.46.
  • 6 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Preflop is fine. Flop is a decent steal spot. I think floating is better than check/raising, since there are many turn cards you can continue on.

River: It's pretty hard to check/call three times without reads. I don't mind donking since he will quite often call with worse hands that would have checked behind. Just be aware that sometimes you will get shoved on and have no idea what it means. I guess range is anything with 2 pairs or better, maybe AK AA, and sometimes bluffs since your bet could be interpreted as weak. Nothing you can do but fold though. Alternative is to just check/fold turn if you think range is tight. Though its very conceivable for him to keep betting Qx, weaker kings, JJ TT type stuff, draws.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop / flop / turn are fine. Notice that he bet like 3/5 pot on the flop and then potted the turn, which I think is a very unlikely line for a player to take at nl5 with a naked Qx. First betting again on an overcard isn't standard for most tags there, and then betting pot on top on that is just too weird for me to believe. So most likely he has Kx+ or maybe sometimes he picked up decent equity like a flushdraw and he's bombing the "scare card" turn.

Given that the value we get by donking out on the river will only be from worse Kx hands, at the price of giving him a chance to bluff-jam on us if he had some draws, which we can't bluff-catch against too much since he can certainly have nutted hands like KQ and JT in his range. I'd probably just check/fold the river, I don't think people in rush are getting out of line often enough to warrant us being heroes.

Hope it helps.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Hi,

I didn't really notice turn bet sizing - agree that the weak stuff is unlikely. If BU had bet 1/2-2/3 pot would you consider value betting the river? I usually just assume micro players are going to call way to much, and don't do things like bluff shove the river very often. Maybe I am owning myself in this spot.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Maybe I am owning myself in this spot.
      You are owning yourself by floating out of position with a bare gutshot.
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      My rationale for floating is that BU's opening range is super wide, most of it bricks on that flop, and he will cbet 100%. We have huge potential for winning the pot on the turn or river, since BU will have to give up a large percentage of the time. If he keeps betting, any turn T, J, K, club either gives us equity to continue / bluff or possibly the best hand.

I think it's a pretty standard spot, especially vs weak micro regs, but w/e.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I agree with you I'm also floating out of position a lot at small stakes, planning to bet any river if they check back the turn, until I see that villain is barreling a good amount of turns or checking back the turn with stuff he intends on calling the river with.

I would indeed be more inclined to valuebet the river if he had bet 1/2-2/3 pot on the turn, because I think his overall range for doing like a lot less polarized than for potting it. If he's decent he could have some good Qx hands and he'd probably bet any Kx that he raised with preflop like that.

I also agree it's quite unlikely you got bluff-jammed on on the river, what i'm saying basically is that you'll still catch people doing it from time to time and the marginal value of valuebetting there as played is just not worth taking the chance in my opinion.

Hope it helps.