$10.00
      UTG2:
      $14.45
      MP1:
      $10.30
      MP2:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 7, 7.
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB raises to $1.00, Hero calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.05) 9, 8, 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25.

Turn: ($4.55) T (2 players)
      BB bets $2.00, Hero calls $2.00.

River: ($8.55) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $8.55.

Now looking at it should have I try to take it down on the turn? Villain is 28/16/6.3
  • 3 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Bet/fold pre-flop. Someone with his 3bet % wil be 3betting a lot of Ax hands in this spot, he'll c-bet most of his range on most flops and you'll have to fold on a lot of them and if you hit your set he's not gonna stack you off in most cases. If he was 3betting tighter you could think about set mining but against a player this loose you should fold.

If you really can't fold pre-flop then call 1 street post flop en fold against further aggresion.

And what do you mean by try to take it down on the turn? If you're gonna shove there you're burning money, he'll snap call with every better hand and he'll fold every worse hand. If you think you still have the best hand (which in my opinion is unlikely) then by all means call again but shoving there is just bad.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Yeah, I think worst part of my game is in steal and blind defend situations. I know ranges get rather wider, but I get in difficult situations while facing resistance, cuz a lot of times I get the feeling that I am getting ... well how shall I put it... abused :p

In this particular situation I am agreeing with everything u wrote, but I guess at that time my flow of thought was that he was quite agressive and his blind defending range(3bet) is possibly including Kx and sc.
      I dunno, I guess I really complicate too much in rather simple situations.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Bet/fold pre-flop. Someone with his 3bet % wil be 3betting a lot of Ax hands in this spot, he'll c-bet most of his range on most flops and you'll have to fold on a lot of them and if you hit your set he's not gonna stack you off in most cases. If he was 3betting tighter you could think about set mining but against a player this loose you should fold.

If you really can't fold pre-flop then call 1 street post flop en fold against further aggresion.

And what do you mean by try to take it down on the turn? If you're gonna shove there you're burning money, he'll snap call with every better hand and he'll fold every worse hand. If you think you still have the best hand (which in my opinion is unlikely) then by all means call again but shoving there is just bad.
      While I agree with the logic of most of what has been said assuming villain is indeed 3-betting a lot, I just don't think we can make that given only those stats over an unknown sample. For all we know he had a hand every time and only 3-bet twice over a small sample or something.

I'd still call preflop and call a bet on decent flops by default, I doubt people at nl10 fr are 3-betting/barreling enough with air to make it unprofitable for us to play our 77 that way.

As for the general "abuse" sentiment, that's what the light 3-betting in banking on. Usually goes like this:

1/ hero raises the button, gets 3bet and folds, feels like he lost 3bb even tho he just folded a garbage range he tried to steal the blinds with, which was a profitable play overall unless the blinds are 3-betting incessantly.

2/ hero raises the button again next orbit, gets 3bet and folds, "loses" 3bb again, not big deal.

3/ hero raises the button once again next orbit, gets 3bet, gets pissed and 4-bet/call AQ/99 thinking "this time i got him". villain kinda knew that was going to happen, after all that's the point of the whole 3-betting thing, so this time he has QQ+ and hero loses 100bb trying to make up for a 6bb loss.

If nobody feels abused nobody starts playing back light, which is really where huge profits come from, people getting tired of it and stacking off light when in reality most villains won't 5-bet light or fire past the flop without a huge hand. I'm not saying to just sit back and take it all day long, just make sure you playing back is actually warranted and don't overdo it. Most of the time all you need is to peel the 3-bet and float the c-bet on good boards, then bet the turn when checked to if you don't have much. When most of them fire the turn, it just means you stumbled upon one of their real hands.

Hope it helps.