Advices about England

• poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Hi all :)
      First, sorry for my english cause I'm french :p
      I'd like to ask you some questions.
      First are about internet connexions.
      I want to know how much it cost for an internet connexion per/month or week?
      I means sort of "medium price".
      And also how many days or weeks you need to wait for this instalation at your home?
      Also, do you have sort of mobile connexion like with a USB key and does some of you use them (price per month or week please?)?

Second, I'd like to have advices about places not to far from London (means less than 20min by train) to spend some month in your country?

Thank you.
  • 7 replies
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      For a broadband it may depends on location and your preferences, but for a basic line consider some 15/30£ a month for phone and broadband.

For the line it depends... if there's a line already and just need to be activated we're talking a few days, often within 24 hours is up. If there's no line at all and need to be reactivated we can go up to a month if you're unlucky.

No idea about mobile connections, hope someone else will help, or you can help yourself on Google.

Not far OUT OF London 20 minutes by train you're talking a huge area spread into 6/7 counties :D

If you want to live the city just get a place IN town, what you'll spend in rent will be less then what you'll spend in trains.
    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Originally posted by degre
      For a broadband it may depends on location and your preferences, but for a basic line consider some 15/30£ a month for phone and broadband.

For the line it depends... if there's a line already and just need to be activated we're talking a few days, often within 24 hours is up. If there's no line at all and need to be reactivated we can go up to a month if you're unlucky.

No idea about mobile connections, hope someone else will help, or you can help yourself on Google.

Not far OUT OF London 20 minutes by train you're talking a huge area spread into 6/7 counties :D

If you want to live the city just get a place IN town, what you'll spend in rent will be less then what you'll spend in trains.
      Ok thank you for your answers.
      I asked about the mobile connections cause we got it in France and some are really better with a smaller price than other...and so wanted to have an advice from users.
      And about IN town, do you know some places not too expensive and not so bad for living with kind of price for renting an appartement (mean a studio for 1 person)?
      I've been London last years, stayed in Greenwich, was very nice, do you like it?
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      If I knew a cheap studio I'll be living there myself... living in Ealing and paying 450£ a month for a share.

As far as letting goes just open gumtree and have a look there.

Oh, by the way, lovly area Greenwich :f_love:
    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Ok thanks for all degre :D
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      Some months is how many months? As most internet contracts are 12 months minimum, there are some which are monthly but you are going to be limited in your options.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ is a good site to weigh up your options. The mobile dongle things would be an option you can walk into any mobile phone shop (orange, 3G, T-mobile etc) and pick up a PAYG one, the speeds will be bad so you cant really download anything but you can play poker. I think when i bought one it was £29.99 for the dongle and then you have to pick which package you want, can't remember how much it was.

On where to live it depends what you want to do in your time in England. But me personally i would at the least want to live in at least Zone 2/Zone 3 at a push i.e. Greenwich would be fine and I have lived in that area for a few years. Of course depends on your price range, if you want to live on your own it's going to be pricey so flat share is probably the way to go but again it depends on how long you are staying due to minimum contract lengths so you could be saying bye to your deposit.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Mobile broadband can cost between £5-£15/month usually they try to get you on an 18mo contract and there are usage limitations. Google mobile broadband and check out one of the comparison sites

EDIT cnsmf got in before me !
    • poiuyt12
      poiuyt12
      Black
      Ok guys, good answers, thank you very much gonna use your advices! :D