Screen/monitor size??

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Hi guys, wanted to know what screen size most of you use for poker?

I'm considering making an investment. I thought my 19" was a great size, I guess it was for visiting internet pages and using word, etc. but it's really no good for more then 2 or 3, maybe 4 tables open. And my poor eyes are feeling the strain from all these hours seeing little cards and letters.

Is 23" any good? That's about the biggest I can get here for a computer without moving on into a huge TV LCD.
  • 27 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I have a 23 widescreen and it is good for tiling 4 tables. I am considering investing in a similar monitor to put beside it so I can 8 table. This would be a good way to quickly get my platinum status back :P
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noclaninator
      I am considering investing in a similar monitor to put beside it so I can 8 table.
      I've seen a few people mention they have multiple monitors ie my coach from the coaching on Sunday. Are they connected to the same computer or do you guys use two computer at the same time? Ie play with one monitor in pokerstars play with the other on full tilt?
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      No the two monitors are actually connected to the same computer. You need a video card that supports this and then you are ready to go.
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      its easy to put 2 or more monitors, you just have to check the back of your pc to see if you have dvi/hdmi/vga ports available from your videocard.

i have an ati 5750 and it has 3 monitor support.

with a 22" 1920x1080 you can tile 12 mini tables... i dont think its easy to multitable 12 tables either in 1,2, or 3 monitors, as you will have to tilt your head from side to side, or stick to mini mini tables :P

if you spare the money id get a 23" and use them both (if your videocard supports it)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Lol, 4 tabling on a 23", joking right? I have a 23" and its perfect for tiling 12 tables with like no overlap. Theres no point getting a bigger screen if your only going to put 4 tables on it (IMO).
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      Lol, 4 tabling on a 23", joking right? I have a 23" and its perfect for tiling 12 tables with like no overlap. Theres no point getting a bigger screen if your only going to put 4 tables on it (IMO).
      I have 24" and playing 3 tables only. What's wrong with that? :f_confused:

OP: I'm running two monitors atm (24" & 19"). One for tables and second one for lobby and other stuff.
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kennyxx

OP: I'm running two monitors atm (24" & 19"). One for tables and second one for lobby and other stuff.
      Nothing wrong, but while it sure helps it is not exactly required to have a 23" to 4 tables, the 19" is already enough. Then if he just fancies the upgrade, well, all the better.

By the way, I'm running a 22" and 6 tabling myself.
    • DTCC1
      DTCC1
      Bronze
      I have 2x24'' and 6 table on one. Although it can fit 12 mini tables nice i just dont like it. use the other for browsing. pointlessly refreshing hem every hand etc.
    • Jepons13
      Jepons13
      Bronze
      Lol im playing with 9 table tiled on a 19 inch monitor. :D
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze

There is nothing wrong with that (If you already had that monitor). But if you have say a 17" or 19" monitor and you are 4 tabling on that then there really is no reasson on going out buying a 23" or 24" if you're still going to 4 table....Theres just no point. 6 table should really be the min for a 23" anywhere between 6-15 tables.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze

^^ this is the best imo
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Wow, I used to have those three monitors exactly. Unfortunately I gave the smaller one away. I wish I had seen that picture earlier. :s_cry:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i want to buy a 30" . but its like 1900USD :O
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze

There is nothing wrong with that (If you already had that monitor). But if you have say a 17" or 19" monitor and you are 4 tabling on that then there really is no reasson on going out buying a 23" or 24" if you're still going to 4 table....Theres just no point. 6 table should really be the min for a 23" anywhere between 6-15 tables.

Yes, because playing poker is the only reason why one would buy a 24"...
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NIVEKii

Yes, because playing poker is the only reason why one would buy a 24"...
      In my world, yes :D
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee

^^ this is the best imo
      I wish I could afford that :)

Any idea what Dell monitors they are?
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      it comes down to table size preferences when it comes to what screen size do you really need for your poker games. I prefer scaling down the tables anyways, as it is just so much easier to focus when a single table is not taking 1/3rd of your monitor.

18.4" laptop (16:9) @ 1920x1080 is perfectly ok for 6 tables, 8+ with slight overlap and 12 with covering the action buttons - u only see them when u need to.

Also, bigger screen does not necessarily mean higher resolution lol. Some 32" TV's dont even have full HD res.
      And I honestly can not imagine how it is possible to play with 2-3 monitors at once lol.. except if u got some sick peripheral eyesight or smth.
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DTCC1
      I have 2x24'' and 6 table on one. Although it can fit 12 mini tables nice i just dont like it. use the other for browsing. pointlessly refreshing hem every hand etc.
      LOL so true...
      Bronze
      I use a 32 inch sony bravia full 1080p and if you tile 6 tables they are tiny and you need to be close to the screen
      to see them. Mostly because of the font. Just the text is blurry and annoying. I set it to the highest dpi but it
      does nothing for the font in stars and tilt.

Also once you change the zoom, hem starts to over lap within itself and Ipoker skins just send the mouse to
      the top left corner of the screen and it stays there.

I found the best way to play when I used to use 2 19 inch monitors was to tile on one of them and use
      the second one for sharkscope and top shark to check out the other players in the SNGs I was in. And
      for the lobbies and joining more SNGs etc.

Now I just stack and honestly once you get used to not being able to see the outcome of your all ins it
      is by far the best way to multi table 12+ games at a time. Cascade has your eyes moving over a large area
      of the screen but if you tile to a size that is easy to see yet small enough that you can take in everything
      with just a quick glance it is by far the most superior way to go.

It is also pretty cheap to get a 32 inch or bigger screen and you can easily get a wireless optical mouse and
      use a lazy boy or some kind of comfortable chair / game pad. If you are grinding for hours a day you can
      actually be extremely comfortable and you can reduce long term effects of sitting in a computer chair and
      getting carpel tunnel (spelling?).

Of course you need to get out into the real world daily and exercise etc etc but this can make your
      poker time truly relaxing and I find it reduces tilt.