This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

how to play 6ppl-SnG, short-handed

• farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      I am playing on Cake poker, and accidentally activated the "BR protection" (don't know why it was turned off in the beginning^^), and I can't get it turned off again. So, well, the 1,15$ Turbos are too high for my BR now ( as are some of the door breakers with 300% added money:D ), and the only remaining games where traffic is rather good are the 6-handed SnG's with short stacks (500 blinds starting at 20). And I've got no idea how to play them:-)

Should I generally play them like fullhanded SnGs, starting in the middle stage? Should I play super-tight and wait for everyone else to bust (hey, some of the games last only 5 minutes!) or should I aggressively attack the other's blinds?

thanks for answers:)
  • 5 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      um write an email to the support and get your BR-protection removed? ^^

what´s the payout stucture? first gets 65% of the prizepool, 2nd 35%?
      how fast do the blinds go up an how big is he increase?
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      tried emailing already^^ I would need to deposit my own money or play for some more ... years:-) but who likes playing with his own money, that's insane!:D

the price structure is 66%/33%, the blinds are 10/20, 15/30, 25/50, 50/100, 75/150... and 10 minutes each level and buyin is 1$, most games do not last longer than 5 levels...
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      *push*
      anyone? I just checked it, most games in which I won lasted between 20 and 30 minutes (level 3), the shortest being 12 minutes, the longest 43 minutes(which by the way was awesome, 5 out of 6 being regulars, and it almost felt like real poker:D )

I'm not asking for a complete strategy guide (actually, would be cool^^), but rather general tips on how to play (tighter, looser...? ). Perhaps I should ask this way: Is it right, that I can play them like a "normal" 10 - handed SnG in the middle and late phase?
      Due to the fact, that the players tend to do all kinds of strange things, should I perhaps just play monsters only?
      What about suited connectors, small pocket pairs? I guess I can't play them profitable, because, if I hit my set/straight/flush I normally can't get a lot out of them ?
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Hi I play mostly 6 seaters.
      IMO they are very different from 10 seaters and whilst the principle of tight early, loosen up later still applies, you should relax your starting hand requirements a bit.
      For instance I raise any unopened pot from any position with any pair. The crucial time, as with a lot of sngs is on the bubble and you should be raising / shoving wide first in, provided that your opponents are not calling light.
      I would also consider loosening up your calling requirements on the bubble if it becomes apparent that opponents are shoving light.
      Depending on villains and stack sizes etc, I dont mind calling with most pairs, certainly 88+, A10+, KJ+ if I think they are shoving wider.
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice:-)
      I just tried it in a couple of SNGs, already in the first one there was someone next to me who folded any hand as BB against a pot-size-bet. I bet with any 2 cards(I guess he donated 20 Blinds to me) until he finally called my hand and tried a slowplay. I got a flush...:D

And then there was another one, a regular... whenever I had the initiative I checked on the flop, and normally got a half-pot bet which I answered with an all-in. Against the occasional 2/3pot-bet it was an easy fold^^ Again a strategy which never failed over the course of 3 games:D I wonder how long I can exploit it^^

Well I think there was overall a lot of aggression missing in my game^^ 2nd barrels, all-ins against bluffers and so on, and I suddenly get ITM in nearly every game. Yeah, I know, variance, but it feels somehow better now, at least I have the feeling I'm doing right