how to play 6ppl-SnG, short-handed

• farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      I am playing on Cake poker, and accidentally activated the "BR protection" (don't know why it was turned off in the beginning^^), and I can't get it turned off again. So, well, the 1,15$ Turbos are too high for my BR now ( as are some of the door breakers with 300% added money:D ), and the only remaining games where traffic is rather good are the 6-handed SnG's with short stacks (500 blinds starting at 20). And I've got no idea how to play them:-)

Should I generally play them like fullhanded SnGs, starting in the middle stage? Should I play super-tight and wait for everyone else to bust (hey, some of the games last only 5 minutes!) or should I aggressively attack the other's blinds?

thanks for answers:)
  • 5 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      um write an email to the support and get your BR-protection removed? ^^

what´s the payout stucture? first gets 65% of the prizepool, 2nd 35%?
      how fast do the blinds go up an how big is he increase?
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      tried emailing already^^ I would need to deposit my own money or play for some more ... years:-) but who likes playing with his own money, that's insane!:D

the price structure is 66%/33%, the blinds are 10/20, 15/30, 25/50, 50/100, 75/150... and 10 minutes each level and buyin is 1$, most games do not last longer than 5 levels...
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      *push*
      anyone? I just checked it, most games in which I won lasted between 20 and 30 minutes (level 3), the shortest being 12 minutes, the longest 43 minutes(which by the way was awesome, 5 out of 6 being regulars, and it almost felt like real poker:D )

I'm not asking for a complete strategy guide (actually, would be cool^^), but rather general tips on how to play (tighter, looser...? ). Perhaps I should ask this way: Is it right, that I can play them like a "normal" 10 - handed SnG in the middle and late phase?
      Due to the fact, that the players tend to do all kinds of strange things, should I perhaps just play monsters only?
      What about suited connectors, small pocket pairs? I guess I can't play them profitable, because, if I hit my set/straight/flush I normally can't get a lot out of them ?
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Gold
      Hi I play mostly 6 seaters.
      IMO they are very different from 10 seaters and whilst the principle of tight early, loosen up later still applies, you should relax your starting hand requirements a bit.
      For instance I raise any unopened pot from any position with any pair. The crucial time, as with a lot of sngs is on the bubble and you should be raising / shoving wide first in, provided that your opponents are not calling light.
      I would also consider loosening up your calling requirements on the bubble if it becomes apparent that opponents are shoving light.
      Depending on villains and stack sizes etc, I dont mind calling with most pairs, certainly 88+, A10+, KJ+ if I think they are shoving wider.
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice:-)
      I just tried it in a couple of SNGs, already in the first one there was someone next to me who folded any hand as BB against a pot-size-bet. I bet with any 2 cards(I guess he donated 20 Blinds to me) until he finally called my hand and tried a slowplay. I got a flush...:D

And then there was another one, a regular... whenever I had the initiative I checked on the flop, and normally got a half-pot bet which I answered with an all-in. Against the occasional 2/3pot-bet it was an easy fold^^ Again a strategy which never failed over the course of 3 games:D I wonder how long I can exploit it^^

Well I think there was overall a lot of aggression missing in my game^^ 2nd barrels, all-ins against bluffers and so on, and I suddenly get ITM in nearly every game. Yeah, I know, variance, but it feels somehow better now, at least I have the feeling I'm doing right