$11.30
      MP2 (Hero):
      $12.50
      MP3:
      $10.10
      CO:
      $14.65

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3, 3.
      UTG1 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30, 2 folds, BU calls $0.30, 2 folds.

Flop: ($1.05) 3, K, 4 (3 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1.05) 4 (3 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40, BU folds.

River: ($1.85) A (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $1.00, Hero raises to $2.00, UTG1 raises to $5.00, Hero calls $3.00.

Final Pot: $11.85.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, threes full of fours(3 3).
      UTG1 shows a full-house, kings full of fours(K K).

UTG1 wins with a full-house, kings full of fours(K K).

Now I know slowplays are not really advisable on micros and even against two players, but here I think it actually saved me half stack.

Bu is a reg, and utg is an unknown with 10 hands but seems like a pretty solid player.

Flop is played as it is, but utgs move on turn was rather suspicious. I mean any tptk or over pair would have protected against that turn card and possible further fd, and that made me think that either he is missplaying his hand completly or he has me beat already. Now that A on river is perfect for me, cuz any draw he might have is complete and his AK tptk gets even stronger. But bearing in mind that he is a thinking player, I reraised him for value and after reraise I just called, just to prove to myself that I knew what kind of hand he had.

Just wondering about your thoughts on this hand. I know it is probably best to go broke cuz there are so many bad players on nl10 but one can actually face a thinking good player sometimes and saves a couple of bucks =p =)
  • 4 replies
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      sry for not hiding the results
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      you played it fine, strange that he could got all your stack if he´d bet/bet/shove or shoved river
      nh
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      So what you are saying is that I should`t go broke if I check/raised and he pushed on flop?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

He's saying villain lost money against your particular holding by slowplaying, if he had simply bet all the way he'd have stacked you. That said villain's play is understandable considering this Kxy board is scary when UTG c-bets it and with him having 3 of the 4 kings, it's hard for anybody to have anything to call with.

As for how hero should play his set, UTG checking such a dry flop will signify wildly different things depending on who he is. If he's unknown or a bad player it doesn't tell us much, i'd still bet by default. If he's some random regular I'd say it means "'i'm pot controlling something like JJ", so I'd probably still bet and maybe go for a bet/check/bet line that people love to call down even tho it's rarely a bluff from a tag. If he's a good reg it really doesn't make sense for him to check that board with anything but KK, he'll c-bet anything that stands to be the best hand as well as pure air. When i see that from somebody i respect this is actually a spot I don't mind checking behind the flop, because either he's giving up with air figuring I'll just make his life hell in position, or he knows I can't have anything to call him down with because of his blockers, which on that board means i'm 1-outing.

As it is if he had c-bet and you raised the flop and and he 3bet you have no reason to think he wouldn't play AA or even AK like that yet, so obviously we're going broke with our set.

As played on the river it's possible villain made a flush somehow or he's overplaying AK (not so likely if he's thinking a bit), I would make a normal river raise instead of a minraise. But since it's still possible he played KK like that or got fancy with AA and rivered top boat, I don't mind just calling once he 3bets.

Hope it helps.