Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG1:
      $1.99
      Hero:
      $2.11

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.76 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:spade: , J:diamond:
      UTG1 raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0.15) 6:club: , 3:spade: , 4:heart: (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.30, UTG1 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.35

Was the raise the right move here or should I have just called and then bet/raise a good turn?

For someone so tight a cbet might be standard but I cant really see him firing 2 barrels without something decent.
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Villian is playing 16/6 and raised UTG. His preflop range is going to be very tight here, possibly even TT+, AK. Raising flop accomplishes nothing, since you are getting limited value from TT and maybe worse pairs, but getting owned by QQ+. I would usually just call flop, fold turn.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      Villian is playing 16/6 and raised UTG. His preflop range is going to be very tight here, possibly even TT+, AK. Raising flop accomplishes nothing, since you are getting limited value from TT and maybe worse pairs, but getting owned by QQ+. I would usually just call flop, fold turn.
      This would be fine against tight regs, but villain doesn't really look like that so far. 16/6 is a pretty wide gap that almost no tag will have.

So I don't really mind the flop raise since he looks tight-bad and he can probably call the raise with worse overpairs as well as maybe some overs for kicks, depends how comfortable you feel folding to a 3-bet and continuing on the turn when he just calls.

Since the value in raising the flop is already blurry at best and given that villain usually won't fire the turn without a decent overpair, if you raise the turn you'll be overplaying your hand for sure.

Hope it helps.