Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $1.48
      Hero:
      $0.98

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6:heart: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.16) 3:club: , 4:heart: , J:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.14, Hero raises to $0.58, SB calls $0.44.

Turn: ($1.32) 2:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.33, Hero calls $0.32 (All-In), SB gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($1.96) 5:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $1.96

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, six high (6h Jd)
      SB shows a pair of jacks (7c Jh)

Hero wins with a straight, six high (6h Jd)
      This guy was playing quite loose raising with a wide range of hands so I figured him to be slow playing a big hand or to have very little perhaps a draw.
      He stabs most flops so I decided to pot raise him to see if he would fold.
      Seeing the 2 on the turn and how I have top pair I think I have good equity here calling.

My reasons but what should I have done?
  • 3 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Some players you can isolate anything profitably. Vs unknowns it's probably better to stick to hands with at least some potential, be it high card strength, connectedness, or suitedness. Esp if they seem quite laggy so far. Not saying raising is bad, but it's the sort of hand where villian will need toplay fit or fold for raising to be profitable. I doubt the average Nl2 player is doing all that much folding, and you indicated he is stabby which is another reason not to raise.

I don't think there is much value in raising the flop, but once you do just go with your hand given stack sizes.
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      Thanks man very helpful :f_grin:
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Play with 100bb.

I usually raise any two cards without reads BBvsSB when they first limp in. If they're the type to limp/fold preflop or limp/call preflop check/fold flop a lot I want to know as soon as possible. Even if somehow it doesn't work out, it'll still show him i'm screwing with him right off the bat, which will make him less likely to believe me in the future. If you don't feel comfortable with that game plan or already know he doesn't really like to fold, there is nothing wrong with just taking a free flop in position when your hand sucks as much as J6o does.

Agree with john on the flop I don't really see a point in raising TPNK without history. If we're behind we're way behind and if we're ahead we don't want him to fold, we want him to continue valuebetting worse / bluffing with air. I'd just call.

Hope it helps.