[NL2-NL10] NL10 Trip jacks on the river, good call?

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      IPoker Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 692106
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BB: $10.00
      UTG: $19.66
      CO: $9.58
      Hero (BTN): $14.04
      SB: $9.25

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BTN with 9 :spade: J :diamond:
      1 fold, CO calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls $0.40, 1 fold, CO calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.45) J :heart: T :spade: 4 :heart: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.80, CO folds, Hero calls $0.80

Turn: ($3.05) Q :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($3.05) J :club: (2 players)
      SB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Final Pot: $6.05
      I know it was a loose raise p/f but people were limping alot.
      i decide to check the turn because i can't raise for value and if i get re-raised i can't see my up and down draw on the river.

River: after getting trips i didn't know wether to raise or call.
      Could i have done anything different?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pretty standard isoraise for me on the button with a playable hand and calling the flop is standard, if you raise you can get value from worse but you'll inflate the pot and often get into tricky spots where you need to decide if you want to stack off with TPNK against an unknown.

I like the turn check on the overcard, it could have hit SB if he donked out with stuff like AQ/KQ/QT/QJ/QhXh not everybody continues to valuebet Qx at that point even tho they should. And indeed getting raised off our draw would suck.

River I see no other play but calling against a standard range even tho it looks weak. Villain's hand look exactly like Jx that donked out on the flop with top pair and then shutdown on the overcard turn, and we don't beat many Jx hands unless he's very loose preflop. It could also be a Q that now decided to valuebet or some busted heart draw that has no other option than bluffing at it. If he has a bluff he won't call a raise, if he has a Q he might but it's pretty obvious you have a J so he needs to be bad, and if he has trips he'll call the raise or 3-bet jam over it, possibly even jam with a worse Jx if he has them and put you in an awful spot. Bottom line is, it's risky and probably not worth it unless he's loose enough to have worse Jx hands, and even then you might have to call a shove with J9 which it's that exciting in that spot.

Hope it helps.