Living out of poker???

• Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Hello guys!
      I have a question which was probably asked zillion times already, but never by me so far.
      I found myself in a situation where I lost my job, and one month am on social support(300€/month).
      I have a college to finish so I decided to push that little bit forward and complete another thing in my life.
      So basicly I am playing 6 table SSS on 0.10/20 on BWIN poker for last couple of days after I gave up on SNG and in that time I tippled my Bankroll.
      I went played like 20h or so and made from 30 to 123$ so far.

Since I am in need for some extra 300/400€ to live comfortably I wonder if that can be achived due playing SSS on higher limits, once when I get there( 25/50)?

I would really appriciate your opinons on this, especailly from those who have some kind of experiances of that kind.

I also wonder does it make sense to push SSS that far, or should I switch to BSS eventually?

Thx for answers in advance

edit:

I forget to mention that I have lots of time, and am determinated to spend at least 5h/day on poker(playing, improving my game by watching videos and reading)

Best regards
  • 12 replies
    • Jepons13
      Jepons13
      Bronze
      I don't want to break your dreams but LOL I don't think you should even think about living out of poker when only having a BR of 120$. Ofc its inspiring when building your BR so fast but its only a heater. But if you want to chase your dream go for BSS it's not as swingy as SSS and it will be more easy to get stable incomes. I think if you are a wining player on NL50 its possible to earn ~ 300 Euro per month.
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      I have many friends that earn about 36k$/ year at NL100 BSS.
      In some courties, you could have a decent living playing NL50 too.

I believe that at the moment, living out of poker is possible.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I would advice not to start trying to live out of poker untill you play at least nl50 BSS (if you live in country where living expenses aren't high) poker is shitty job if you need to play lots of hours in order to make ends meet, soon you'd hate poker which would make you play worse this would drop you WR, dropped WR would lead to higher swings, higher swings to more hours needed to play in order to make necessary ammount of money, more hours more hate etc etc etc. And also learn BSS imo.
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      NL50 and 300eur per month?!? I am making more than that in NL10 but that also depends on hands played per month and the player ofc.
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      I would advice not to start trying to live out of poker untill you play at least nl50 BSS (if you live in country where living expenses aren't high) poker is shitty job if you need to play lots of hours in order to make ends meet, soon you'd hate poker which would make you play worse this would drop you WR, dropped WR would lead to higher swings, higher swings to more hours needed to play in order to make necessary ammount of money, more hours more hate etc etc etc. And also learn BSS imo.
      definitly agree
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      And why wouldn't anyone make a living out of poker on just 120$ starting BR? I blew my first two "starting" 50$ BRs, then grinded up an extra 50$ in three months playing freerolls, only to switch to BSS NL10, make that up to 400$, switch sites, and played there NL25 to NL200 SH! I then lost 4k$ in one month but that's not the point :P I'm back for over 2years now, earning more then I would if I had a job here! Anything can be done, if anyone tries hard enough. How hard that is ... well that's for one to find out on their own.

It hasn't been easy for me. I doubt it has been easy for anyone succeeding at anything! The more u want the harder u have to work for that. The good news is that if u are willing to put in the kind of effort it takes to succeed over and over and over and over again, it gradually (though slowly) becomes easier to invest even more of urself. It's gonna be a helluva journey though and u better be prepared for some VERY rough times.
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      And why wouldn't anyone make a living out of poker on just 120$ starting BR? I blew my first two "starting" 50$ BRs, then grinded up an extra 50$ in three months playing freerolls, only to switch to BSS NL10, make that up to 400$, switch sites, and played there NL25 to NL200 SH! I then lost 4k$ in one month but that's not the point :P I'm back for over 2years now, earning more then I would if I had a job here! Anything can be done, if anyone tries hard enough. How hard that is ... well that's for one to find out on their own.

It hasn't been easy for me. I doubt it has been easy for anyone succeeding at anything! The more u want the harder u have to work for that. The good news is that if u are willing to put in the kind of effort it takes to succeed over and over and over and over again, it gradually (though slowly) becomes easier to invest even more of urself. It's gonna be a helluva journey though and u better be prepared for some VERY rough times.
      well said
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I started living out of poker at NL20, taking shots at NL50 :D I only needed $400/month and I was sure I could get that from rakeback alone. So I Wasn't counting on my winrate at any moment. That makes it safer I guess =) Also, I had a couple of months of expenses paid for already, just so that I'd have a bit of a cushion in case something didn't go as I expected.

That was almost a year ago and today I can live very confortably, making a lot more money than I actually need. So things worked out pretty well. If you have the energy to do it and if you're not afraid of failing, please go for it :evil:
    • degre
      degre
      Bronze
      The low money requirements makes it definitely an advantage, here in UK I need at least some 1400$ a month to begin with, would be quite harder :P
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Guys thx for your honesty, encouragement and overall comments.
      All I have left is time and some money, so I guess I have not many options left if I want to make this work.
      I could also do some shity job from 7-15 for 500/month but that would take me away from my college and boxing trainings.

for now I will stick with SSS, since so far it pays really well ther on BWIN poker.
      I will eventually switch to BSS, but for now I want to master that first and profit from it, and will see how it goes.

Cheers
    • rorrlsh
      rorrlsh
      Bronze
      i saw you playing at NL10 tables too... i have you in my database... just few hands though :-)
      pretty lucky on those BB spots :-)... and that SB complete with 76o :-)
      soon i ll be switching to NL20 too... had to cash out some 50€ before so hopefully it wont take long :-)
      cheers and happy fishing...
      PS: unbelievable with what kind of suited cards people call SSS raise/AI pre flop there...
    • Sinnology
      Sinnology
      Global
      Well I am learning everyday.
      In the begining it was really hard to fold some hands.
      Like small pockets, like 6 or 7 out of position.
      Same was with throwing AQ on raise etc.
      After watching my notes and few videos I force myself to follow chart mostly and it pays of so far.

Soon I will switch to NL20 also, I accepted you as a freind, and sent ya PM, so we can chat sometimes.

Yeah they are really fishy on BWIN on this limit.
      I feel like playing facebook zynga poker- lol
      Cheers.