Neverending bad luck once in the money

    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.03.2009 Posts: 821
      No idea what the hell is wrong with me. Can't seem to make a big prize. I get to the money is as many as half of the larger tourneys I play on any given day, but fail to go deep into the money. Today the curse finally seemed to be over on a $1 MTT on Pokerstars (4051 players). Was doing great, already into the top 100 and closing in on the bigger prizes. Then :

      JJ vs. 76s (both all in preflop), 76 hits straight on river. The donk tried to bluff from early position. Lost 1/3 of my stack.

      AA vs. 66 (all in on turn) , 6 on the river, lose 2/3 of my stack

      QQ vs. AQs (all in preflop), AQ hits flush on turn.

      Out 63rd for barely $6.07 prize. Which is shit compared to all the time and effort I spend on these tourneys.

      Just sad. This loss really made me go an a rage. I was there, I got the cards, and I'm out. -------$·%$/&(" <- insert various screams, bad words, punch the desk, wall, etc. :f_mad: :f_mad: :f_mad: X( :( Goddamn, how can I fail to even reach a final table after over a hundred tournaments in the money. SOOOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING. :s_cry:

      Been trying to experiment with some different strategies once in the money. Ie today, I was more aggressive then other tourneys, basically any pair I was going all in, even low pairs, even calling other alliners. But as always clanked out in the end before anything important.
  • 4 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.07.2008 Posts: 1,354
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      This loss really made me go an a rage. I was there, I got the cards, and I'm out. -------$·%$/&(" <- insert various screams, bad words, punch the desk, wall, etc. :f_mad: :f_mad: :f_mad: X( :( Goddamn, how can I fail to even reach a final table after over a hundred tournaments in the money. SOOOOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING. :s_cry:
      If you rage over a $1 MTT you've got serious issues and not making a final table is the least of them.
      MTT players can have like 30 mtts out of the money and it's still OK if you've got the bankroll. And with over 4000 people the variance is crushing.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Joined: 12.02.2009 Posts: 553
      mate seriously i H-A-T-E the 1$ tourneys at stars...its the only tourney i have reached soooo many times last 2 tables yet never the last one :f_cry:

      A bit more seriously though,mtts=big prizes=big fields=variance so get used to it.

      Anyone who wins money playin online mtts can tell u that to reach a final table u need some luck to go with otherwise it aint possible.see it like that:low stakes mtts=not much metagame so mostly flips.From here we move into that even if u flip ur AA against 2 random cards,here and there u will be losing.

      So overall running deep is a good sign,getting sucked out is a even better one cause it means u played well but got unlucky.If these 2 i mentioned are facts,keep doing them and ull get there.

      Peace
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Joined: 13.03.2009 Posts: 821
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      If you rage over a $1 MTT you've got serious issues and not making a final table is the least of them.
      MTT players can have like 30 mtts out of the money and it's still OK if you've got the bankroll. And with over 4000 people the variance is crushing.
      I just had to vent. I guess it was a build up, it's been happening in all tourneys I play for the last month or couple of months. I've been in the money over 100 times in the bigger (in number of participants) MTTs, and haven't even been able to reach top 50 in a single one. This included 4 SCOOP lows where I got into the money with a solid stack (average or above average) only to not get a damn card after that and see the blinds eat my stack away, or lose on situations I was ahead in the hand.

      BTW why shouldn't I be mad for being out of a $1, getting $1K+ for a $1 buyin is something I'd and I'm sure people on higher limits too would like to take.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.07.2008 Posts: 1,354
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      BTW why shouldn't I be mad for being out of a $1, getting $1K+ for a $1 buyin is something I'd and I'm sure people on higher limits too would like to take.
      Well for a lot of reasons actually. First check the expected ROI for your limit. If you're doing around this number a $1 lost shouldn't matter.
      Then check your mentality - it's shouldn't be about the $1 as a monetary value but about a buyin lost. And one buyin doesn't matter at all as long as you have the bankroll.
      And then - read a bit about variance, expectation and dispersion of the results.

      That's why you shouldn't rage about a $1 mtt.

      Have fun!