May Sucks

• Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      I am now officially a losing player since I started playing online poker. I have managed to lose everything I have earned playing online since the start of May.

I have been really focussed on learning and improving my poker. Playing very tight aggressive but I am so close to quitting its unreal. I have had 1 winning day for $2 since the beginning of may and have managed to land my bankroll below where it started. The only saving grace is cleared bonus.

I managed to work my bankroll up from NL2 to NL4 then started taking shots at NL5 when everything crashed. Lost so many stacks over 12,000 hands and won so few that I'm so sick of it. I only pick up monsters against short stackers and make the minimum from my hand, then when I pick up 2nd/3rd nuts against a big stack, they ALWAYS have the nuts. This is just two examples from today where i lost over 100BB in each hand.

Hand 1

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, Q. MP3 posts a blind of $0.04. (Comment)
      UTG1 raises to $0.20, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.16, CO folds, BU calls $0.20, Hero calls $0.18, BB calls $0.16.

Flop: ($1.00) Q, Q, 6 (5 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, BB folds, UTG1 bets $0.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.00) 7 (2 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, UTG1 bets $1.52, Hero raises to $4.68 (All-In), UTG1 raises to $4.59 (All-In).

River: ($11.27) 4 (2 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $11.27

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, queens (Kc Qc)
      UTG1 shows a full-house, sixes full of queens (6s 6h)

UTG1 wins with a full-house, sixes full of queens (6s 6h)

Hand 2

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 8 (Comment)
      7 folds, BU calls $0.04, SB raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.16, BU folds.

Flop: ($0.44) 8, 8, J (2 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.22, SB calls $0.22.

Turn: ($0.88) 2 (2 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, SB calls $0.80.

River: ($2.48) T (2 players) (Comment)
      SB bets $1.24, Hero raises to $3.62 (All-In), SB calls $2.38.

Final Pot: $9.72

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, eights (Ah 8h)
      SB shows a full-house, jacks full of eights (Js Jd)

SB wins with a full-house, jacks full of eights (Js Jd)

I'd love to know what the odds of someone flopping a boat when i flop trips are and if it is likely to happen twice in 600 hands.

I Grind, grind, grind, only to be sucked out on for a stack by underpairs, runner runner flush, running straight cards. I 80% pot bet every street to have guys call the whole way and river a flush. I am truely at my wits end.

The most frustrating part of this is that I am a winning live cash game player playing at stakes 50+ times what I play online and I am only grinding like this for cents to make a point that with solid tight aggressive play, you can build a bankroll. I am starting to question whether that is the case.

It's difficult to be a winning player playing strictly to the pokerstrategy tight guidelines when people are shoving all in on you left right and center with bottom pair/two overs/gutshot draws, and the chart tells you to fold your TPTK. And on the occasions where you do have the monster (which is probably less than 1 in 8 for a flopped set, 2 pair, pair nut flush draw/OESFD/even TPTK on a non-drawey board) they fold so you get no value or invariably call and draw out on you with their 8:1 gutshot and you're back where you started.

I know this is just another rant, but need to vent somewhere and this is as good a place as any.
  • 4 replies
    • jakosamlud
      jakosamlud
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meemawuk

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, Q. MP3 posts a blind of $0.04. (Comment)
      UTG1 raises to $0.20, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.16, CO folds, BU calls $0.20, Hero calls $0.18, BB calls $0.16.

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 8 (Comment)
      7 folds, BU calls $0.04, SB raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.16, BU folds.
      don't give up fish... your luck will turn around soon...
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Always nice to get constuctive criticism.

I fail to see how calling a raise with KQ suited with all that value playing for 2 pair, trips, flush, straight or strong combodraw is bad. The A8 suited call from the bb against a guy who is stealing from that spot almost 100% isn't particularly bad either, but maybe I should raise/fold in that spot rather than calling?
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      My May is great so far so it doesn't suck.

Anyway - we all have our periods of dry decks and coolers and stuff. If you have a healthy bankroll (like 30 bi or more) it can handle those periods. If you have less BI than 20 however you are going to crash and burn pretty fast when you tilt after a cooler.

As for odds of stuff happeing - I've had my KK vs AA three times in a row for 800 hands a few days ago. I even won two of these times - nice for a hand that's a 5:1 when the money went in, huh? It just happens from time to time and it's a part of the game and you just have to accept it.
    • Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. Doesnt matter how much you know that stuff its always reassuring to hear it from an outside source.

My bankroll is still more than adequate for NL2 BSS which ive since dropped down to. I'll build it back up eventually. Those bad runs still hurt though.