Charts x Agression: The fearlessness factor

• blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Well... I've been playing for about 45 days and noticed something very disturbing on the way I've been playing. I'm taking poker very seriously and watched a lot of videos, bought books, etc, etc. Although, after losing the 10th SnG ($1 single tables and $0.25 MTTs in PokerStars) in a row, I got in contact with a situation that no book or chart is able to describe with precision.

There are the calculations on pot odds, implied odds and all those percentages for playing draws and so on and I've managed to dominate them, once I really like the math aspects just about anything in life. But even then I ALWAYS run into some very loose-very (psicho) agressive player who raises 80% of the time (100% if he is in position) and scares everybody away. He is the one who gets a lot of chips and dominates the tournament.

He is not wrong, obviously. He is just playing it the way it is meant to be. But in front of a player like this all those odds and probabilities just seem to turn into trash! The game becomes more like a psicological battle. At least that's how it seems to me.

Forget about odds. Overbets become a constant and heads-up confrontations in which a player bets less than half the pot are a sign of weakness. I say I cannot make use of the calculations in such circumstances, being in the pot or just observing the action. I do get lost.

And for what? Sometimes a showdown happens and one of the players get the pot because of high card, or just one pair on a very draw-heavy board. It's the kind of circumstance I cannot locate myself into... I just don't know whether I have the advantage or not when I'm caught in those pots.

I folded AKs on the button because 2 guys pushed in front of me... and they had trash hands that I could have owned. I folded my blinds to visible steals because my hand was not worth calling a raiser on the button, and so on. I begin to wonder if the rules of the charts are really that usefull. At least the guys who make it to the final tables are playing something far different (or maybe ahead?) the charts..... I really don't know.

Maybe I'm trying to rationalize too much? It just seems to me that sometimes the calculations and charts become worthless and that I am missing some kind of valuable information that could possibly give me a clue of how to behave in those situations. What you guys think?
  • 4 replies
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Always remember mate,a dog that barks is scared to bite.

That being said playin back at them preflop with overshoves is the general principle.

gl mate,sooner or later u'll see these are actually the easy opponents
    • Tropicalia
      Tropicalia
      Basic
      Always try to think about the long run. You can see some weird plays by opponents sometimes, but that is part of the game.

If a player is raising 80% of his hands, this is clearly not optimal, as he will be playing way too many trash hands which would make virtually impossible for him to make a profit, no matter how good he is post-flop.

Pot-odds and all other mathematical factors in poker are important! Recognizing these is partly what differentiate good and bad players.

There is indeed a psychological factor in poker as well. Trying to get into your opponents' minds and trying to figure out their ranges at a particular situation.

I believe the expert players usually combine the knowledge about maths with psychology, and most importantly experience of having played a huge amount of hands. This will make you to take better decisions in general.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      You've already said you're a beginner trying to learn and improve. This puts you leagues ahead of most players already, so enjoy. :) After a little [and it doesn't take long] experience, you will start learning how to take advantage of these gamblers and realise that they are the ones donating to your bank roll building.
      Remember when two of these pilchards ge it all in with trash, one pilchard doubles up and one goes out. So what do we have now? Fish and chips of course! I like fish and chips. Mmmmmmm...

Post the hands you found tricky, describe the situations and ask questions and I guarentee someone will know the answer.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Imo, that's the player you want to become. The one that runs over everyone and dominates the sng. Although if he actualy played 80% of his hands that a bit extreme..

Personally when i'm bigstack i play agressive, i don't play alot of hands. But the ones i do i play them very agressively alot of the time. The thing you don't want to do is go all in with trash against them, they are bigstacks and can call you with wide range of hands.

Just wait for good spots and reshove them all in preflop, and hope they didn't have something that time.
      I don't recommend trying to bluff one of those people if your also quite bigstacked. I've reraised people with air so many times when i knew they were trying to bluff me..

Anyway losing 12 sng in 45man sng's is very standard. I've played 300 of those on stars. I 12 table and i've had sessions where i bust 10 tables and then barely cash 2 and i've had sessions where i would win 4 of them and also cash 3 others.
      So just keep playing good, there's alot of variance in Multitable sng's..