Avg its free just google it
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      http://download.cnet.com/2701-2023_4-6-1.html?tag=rb_content;contentNav

Great article to get you started.

I'm using:

avast antivirus: ok, it works.

comodo firewall: it works, but it asks too much so i'm probably going to try a different one. It's a little annoying when you install something and it asks like 10 times if it's ok to do something.

Threatfire: I highly recommend this It's realtime protection, i opened up a dangerous website and it automatically closed it for me.

Malware bytes / Ad-Adware: either one is fine, i have both though.

Ofcourse don't open emails from people you don't know, and watch what you download and what websites you visit. Always scan things you download before opening them.. If you do that + the protection your pretty safe..
      Bronze
      Eset is the nuts.

Nod 32 or smart security for the whole package.

Very low resource usage and it kicks ass.

Been using it for a few years now.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      avast!
    • shane837
      shane837
      Bronze
      once u had download avg run it and u be shocked at how many virus u have on your system that Mcafee did not pick up worse software out there
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I used AVG and personally did not like it. If you want something good pay for it. It's not that expensive. Now I have BitDefender Internet Security, but also used NOD32. Both really good. I bought BitDefender because I got license for 3 computers. So basically you get 3 for a price of 1.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      avg and mcafee are like the worst out there
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 8979687
      Eset is the nuts.

This and nothing else.

AVG, Avast, McAfee ... you are better off using nothing at all.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      ok thanks everyone for replying,

@emanuel, its not that i think its expensive its just if i can get something thats good enough to do the job for less or nothing id much rather have that than pay for it

@ everyone else, thanks for the suggestions i'll have a look into all of them :D
      Bronze

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Eset is the nuts.

This and nothing else.

AVG, Avast, McAfee ... you are better off using nothing at all.

I completely disagree. They do work. And don't forget if you actualy get a virus it's a 100% your fault.

If you careful with what you do on the internet and protect your computer even if they are free programs you should be fine.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

I completely disagree. They do work. And don't forget if you actualy get a virus it's a 100% your fault.

If you careful with what you do on the internet and protect your computer even if they are free programs you should be fine.
      This is the most wrong thing I have ever read you type on these forums and that says alot.

Viruses and spy ware are all over the place. Some are self installed through hacks of legit pages. There iis no way
      you can just "Avoid" getting a virus by browsing carefully.

Also ESET is proven to leave the others in dust and is untouchable in performance. That is a real graph I posted
      above and it clearly shows how poor the protection from free and lesser quality programs is.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

This is the most wrong thing I have ever read you type on these forums and that says alot.

Viruses and spy ware are all over the place. Some are self installed through hacks of legit pages. There iis no way
      you can just "Avoid" getting a virus by browsing carefully.

Also ESET is proven to leave the others in dust and is untouchable in performance. That is a real graph I posted
      above and it clearly shows how poor the protection from free and lesser quality programs is.

just saying, don't open suspicious emails or stuff like that. Besides that thing is probably heavily biased towards Eset. As i bet that was made by thata company as it's the only one that shows the logo.

Are you really going to trust on how reliable that test is when they made it?

I don't enjoy comments like "This is the most wrong thing I have ever read you type on these forums and that says alot." So keep crap like that to yourself as it's completely unnecessary.

As far i know in the 8 years i used my old computer the only thing i got was a keylogger once. And i didn't have any software to protect it. I've scanned it with a ton of programs and nothing finds anything on it, and it just works properly.

It really isn't that likely to get a virus to be honest.

p.s. I'm not saying ESET isn't the best, i can't be bothered actualy looking that up. I'm not saying payed programs are worse then free. I'm just saying
      something is always better then nothing. Just thought i'd add that before you start childishly flaming me.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      woah chillax haha never thought id say that
      Bronze
      No flame intended you were just way off base with what you said and if people reading it beleive you
      then some damage has been done. Trust me I avoid flaming you every day.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Interesting thread, let's keep it friendly though folks ;)

I used to use Norton which was more than competent for my needs and pretty reasonably priced, but currently rely on AVG for the laptop. Might need to review that again at some stage if/when I use it more or start internet banking etc.

Always good to raise awareness.

Bart
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      No flame intended you were just way off base with what you said and if people reading it beleive you
      then some damage has been done. Trust me I avoid flaming you every day.
      If you get a virus it's almost always because of something you have done. Maybe it be because of something you downloaded, opened a suspicious email or visited a suspicous website. If you want i'll edit it to 90% instead of 100% if that makes you happy?

There isn't any "damage done" I said to protect their computer, and to be careful with what they do. If you want to spend money on protection then go ahead, but not all of us want to or can afford it.
      Bronze
      And anyone who does not spend some money on protection is very vulnerable.

No matter how "careful" they are. I will not argue with you. This is my opinion you have yours.
    • jakosamlud
      jakosamlud
      Silver
      I use Comodo Internet security 4. Its free, has firewall, antivirus, defense+ and sandbox. I'm really satisfied. I would also recommend malwarebytes+superantispyware as scanner...