How to play your best?

• Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      Hi, everyone,

I'm playing online poker for 2 weeks now I think, reading articles, watching videos etc.

In first few days while learning basics I drop from $50 starting capital to ~$10. So I've been sitting on those $10 for rest of time I play poker.

Sometimes I manage to just blow off all SNG tourneys I got my hands on, for example, yesterday I went up to $25 by winning pretty sick opponents, then again dropped down to $11...

I'm always trying to play my best game, but sometimes it just seems impossible, no matter what I do. Then again when I'm dropping down pretty worse, like on $8, I'm playing so good I can get 1st place 3 times in a row.

|I'm playing $1+$0.20 and once per day $2+$0.25 9seat regulars|

What would be suggestions to take up my game play as I feel, that I can play the same and reach 1st-3rd places every time, but most of cases I miss something, I don't know what - bored, not paying full attention, too self-confident.

Also, in most cases when I happen to be in blind position or late pos. and just happen to get AKs or even AA/KK, almost every single person before me FOLDS and I just can't get chips. While having bad hands like 27o, they start raising and re-raising each other and going all-ins. Then I just sit there and hope to push/fold till place, still while blinds goes up and my chip stack keeps the same or keeps decreasing.

Xidjo
  • 8 replies
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      It's just variance you will get alot of top tier hands that all people will just fold to, you have to keep improving your game make sure your focused.

Any hand you win or lose evaluate it, the hand forums are awesome, don't assume that because you won the pot you played correctly it's a lot easier to see your mistakes when you lost but when you win you have to think;

Did I play the hand right?
      Could I have gotten more money in the pot?
      What hand ranges did my opponent have and was I a favourite or did I beat him because it was lower end of his range?
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      By now you should be playing 20cents SNG's. Read again bankroll management articles and follow them like it's some sort of bible.
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      I couldn't find any 20cent SNGs at Full Tilt! Is there any?

How can I convert my hands and how to do it really?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Download the ICM Trainer and practice... A LOT! Set yourself the situations in which you find it difficult to make the correct decision. At first consider the ICM Trainer Light, if you haven't completed all the lessons there. It is a huge mistake to play these SnGs without really practicing the ICM. I read the articles too, but the ICM training helps me a lot more.

Good luck! Hope you hit an upswing soon so as not to go broke.

Emanuel.

LE: I also play 1$ on FTP. What's your screenname?
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      Ehh, downloaded it and probably will spend 1-2 weeks learning as I have $1 left in my account balance. Though, I'm spending it on Daily Dollar and hopefully I will double it up to $2 and so I will go with freerolls and stuff, till I manage to get back at least $15.

I really think every new player should get broke first as it gives ultimate lesson - learn harder. Now I will be spending equal and even more time learning stuff, not just playing!

And, EmanuelC16, my screen name at Full Tilt is the same as here - Xidjo. :) Hopefully, see you at tables! :D
    • Psderrr
      Psderrr
      Bronze
      It's less of a lesson more of a reality check "Your shit and poker isn't fair so fuck you and get better"
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      The idea is that with under 25$ you should go down. But yeah, iPoker has lower then 1$ SNG's, i think FTP doesn't. And you don't have DON's there.

You could play fixed limit with that bankroll if you like it. Or just keep pumping SNG's. Play less tables, don't play turbo's, don't play tired, don't play on tilt, don't play MTT's, and play the best you can!
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      I missed Daily Dollar last night, because at my country it's like 03:00 in morning when it starts. :D

Anyway, now I'm playing $0.01/$0.02 cash tables using SSS mixed with some variance. Trying to find fishy tables and slowly going up, at least... :)