[NL2-NL10] NL2 99 from BU

• eViLTip
      eViLTip
      Bronze
      His raise at flop did look like he hit the flush and more like he tried to scare me away, should I re-raise at flop?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.95
      BU (Hero):
      $1.79
      SB:
      $2.37
      BB:
      $6.00
      UTG1:
      $1.97
      UTG2:
      $0.99
      MP1:
      $4.84
      MP2:
      $0.29
      MP3:
      $3.03

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9, 9.
      UTG1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero calls $0.02, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.09) Q, 6, J (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG1 bets $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.10, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.29) K (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.20, UTG1 calls $0.20.

River: ($0.69) 5 (2 players)
      UTG1 bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28.

Final Pot: $1.25.
      Results follow:

UTG1 shows a flush, ace high(7 A).
      Hero shows a flush, queen high(9 9).

UTG1 wins with a flush, ace high(7 A).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Flop call is fine in position tho really we're not happy at that point already, BB is still to act behind us and UTG1 could have anything from a better pair to a higher heart than our 9h, maybe even both.

On the turn random 1 heart hands that doesn't have a pair higher than ours are a relatively small part of villain's range, certainly not big enough to warrant us valuecutting ourselves against everything else in the process of valuebetting them. So you shouldn't bet unless you're planning on turning your hand into a 2 barrel bluff, most of the stuff that led the flop and checked the turn isn't just going to check/fold on that offsuit K.

As played when he donks the river after check/calling the turn his hand looks exactly like a flush, so it just depends on how often you think he bets out with worse flushes. If he's a reg the answer is "almost never" and it's a fold, if he's just some fish the answer is "who knows..." and I don't mind calling the half pot bet hoping he just bets any heart.

Hope it helps.