[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - Nut flush

• StaticMoth
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 6.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.35) 3, 3, 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($0.85) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.65, Hero raises to $1.45, MP3 raises to $14.43, Hero calls $12.70.

River: ($29.43) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $29.43.

Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, ace high(Ah 6h).
      MP3 shows a full-house, twos full of threes(2c 2s).

MP3 wins with a full-house, twos full of threes(2c 2s).

No special reads/stats on villain ...

He's instashove on my turn raise ...
      I mean I'm only beat by 22 (+ the very rare 33 as well, but basically only 22)

Pretty obvious since he limped preflop ... ?
      But I mean can I fold this without any reads?
      There are sooo many bad players out there on NL10 ...

He could have trip 3's there or 2nd nut flush or smth ...

But since the pot is relatively small, the board is paired (though only 22 beats me) and he shoves his 140bb+ stack in ... easy fold ooor?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Well you laid out the facts well, if he's some decent reg it should be clear to him you have the nutflush at worse when you make that turn check/raise so it's suicidal for him to shove anything but a boat. If he's a random fish he doesn't get any of that and will probably happily ship any flushdraw. If he's a nit he has the nuts always, don't level yourself. If he's just some unnoticeable tag he probably has the nuts anyway, with a small part of his range being dumb jams with another flush anyway.

If you just want my opinion based on the fact that I've never played with him here it is: he's full stacked and he made a ~2/3 bet on the flop 3-way without initiative when checked to, which overall makes him unlikely to be a fish with a flushdraw in my opinion. So either he's a tag with a made flush that isn't good enough to understand how much strength your turn check/raise shows, or he has a boat.

The only way you can better your decisions in those spots is to make sure you have as few "unknown" villains as possible.

When I sit down at a table I just look up everybody with the search function and start putting labels on them. 3+ tabling people are regs until proven otherwise, everybody else is a fish until proven otherwise. Anybody without a full buy-in is automatically more fishy than the others, so people with autorebuy are more likely better regs than those that let their stacks dwindle down with that "well i'm taking a 1 buy-in shot so i'm not rebuying" mentality. Then all of that changes depending on every hand where something significant happens. I see a 4-tabling guy with autorebuy miss an obvious valuebet he becomes a tag-fish, I see a 3-tabling guy limping constantly he's probably isn't a reg after all but instead of fish who's capable of handling 3 tables, and so on.

The point is it's just very rare for anybody to be a complete unknown, they're just fish or regs with a certain degree of certainty and until I see something that makes me revise that read, I'll just go with what I have. So either focus more on knowing your enemies, or get used to the idea that you'll need to make uninformed decisions and hope for the best often.

Hope it helps.
    • StaticMoth
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      When I sit down at a table I just look up everybody with the search function and start putting labels on them ...
      Thanks for the input - I'll be sure to start diggin' some background intel on my opp's from now on :f_cool: