[NL2-NL10] NL10 - AKo. Struggle

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      IPoker Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 696916
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

SB: $10.06
      BB: $3.00
      Hero (UTG): $22.63
      CO: $16.08
      BTN: $13.80

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with K :club: A :diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.35, 1 fold, BTN raises to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, BTN calls $1.70

Flop: ($6.15) 9 :club: 6 :heart: 6 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.00, BTN raises to $10.80, Hero calls $6.80

Turn: ($27.75) 2 :spade: (2 players)

River: ($27.75) 4 :club: (2 players)

I always struggle to play AK after the flop once there has been large raises preflop, should i have just check-folded? or raise/fold?
  • 4 replies
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      4bet more because you are oop and you are a little bit deep

On that flop I would just give up you are not getting many hands to fold and you have two blockers to another AK or Ax so it is less likely they don't have a pair or equity here. They will most likely ship any over pair and also flush draws.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      As played, you can just c/f the flop.

But, preflop: because we're kind of deep, I'd rather just call his 3b. His range for stacking off here will be too strong for us to get it in with AKo. (given he's not crazy)
      So I prefer flatting, even though we're OOP and just play some post flop poker. We have an awesome disguised hand in a 3b pot ;-)

And yeah, when you do 4b, make it bigger ;-)

Cheers!
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      i usually try to ship AK's preflop, is this bad? should i just be flatting some 3bet?
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      It really depends on the situation.

We need to analyze the situation. In this specific spotw, here the things we must take into consideration:

- 138bb stacks
      - We raise MP and get 3b by BTN
      - Our opponents 3betting habit (does he 3b a lot? Or does he like to call more often in position?)

Against someone who's 3betting a tight range, we really shouldn't be stacking off pre-flop. A tight range would be JJ+,AK. And I doubt he's gonna be stacking off JJ in this spot. He probably just folds to the 4b. Or he might call, because you're deep. He might also choose to call QQ and AK and only stack off KK+. And that's pretty bad for us, because we're never gonna get the money in good.

This is all because we're deep and people will stack off a stronger range pre-flop.

But for 100bb, it's definitely ok to stack off =)