Low ball poker on low limits

• BlackHawkEU
      I played low limits with the TAG style explained on pokerstrategy and it worked okay. Then I saw some Negreanu tips about low ball poker and decided to give it a shot and see how it goes.
      The problem with low ball poker is that you need a lot of experience, and I do not have it at this time, and I did bad by calling some big bets rather light and lost a lot doing so. However, if I would have folded those hands, I would have had a nice profit, so the strategy is not bad. My experience is not great. And the low ball poker is fun, and by mixing it with normal TAG style can mislead your opponents, because all pokertracker style will become worthless.
      Basically you behave like a maniac. Your goal is to be cheap in as many hands and if is possible, multiway pots. For this reason, instead of raising only good hands with 4 BB, you raise all hands with 3 BB.
      The important part is that after that, most times you need to go for a continuation bet, and it should be half or less than half pot size.

You will lose some pots at first, but people will think you are a stupid insane idiot, and it will come the time when someone will have an overpair, AA or whatever else, and you will have set, full or such. This is when you win big pots.

The goal is to stay cheap in a hand for as long as you can. For example, if it is a 2 way pot, you bet .30 pre flop. Someone call. You flop nothing, but bet .30 agan. That is less than half pot most times. If you are reraised big, you fold. If they just call, you see a new card. Then raise for 0.4 or 0.5. You keep initiative and get to see if you see another card. At times you will be reraised, and is important to call some of those raraises even with nothing, and bet the river. Even with nothing. This way, you keep the pot small and lose a small pot, but opponents will think you are a maniac. They will never respect your raises. They will tend to go all in when they have a hand and all you need to do is to have a better one of your own.

That is how it works in theory. I tried it and it works okay even against ragulars of those limits and I am thinking to try this more and more. Ofc, I will try it expecting loses, but it is a good way to build up a LAG style, and if I manage to change from LAG to TAG from time to time I think it won't be that bad.

What do you think about this approach?
  • 3 replies
    • alejandrosh
      it may work, even Negreanu has said that his lowball poker only works against fish anyway
    • BlackHawkEU
      The point is to push them all out of their confort zone. Ofc, if it is a pro, it won't work and you will lose a lot doing it, but vs normal players it can actually give nice results. I tried several times and so far I never lost doing it. Ofc, is not relevant, because of the small sample size, and because each time I managed to take at least one stack from someone with second nuts.
      In some occasions I had bad results, but because of post flop play, not because of pre flop aggression.
    • SiXAT
      yeh on the small limits its profiatble, agisnt all the players u gain value from the fish and the weak regs.
      the problem with it is that u become kindda suspicious and many times that players riase u will see it as rebluff, so u have to spot the rebluffs and when a player has a real hand( mostly those player are the ones that ar intimidated by you), avoid regs who know what they are doing and how to counter, attacks weak nitty regs, if a player takes over the initiative and raises and bets big he very often has it.
      Weak players mostly tend to play passively.
      this strategy is best played when one player limped and u isolate MP+, or if u are late first in attck the blinds.
      also 2 or more limpers u limp behind, multiway u play for value mostly, here your images is to your favour.
      some players might be calling with nothing to float, it might be profiatble to 2nd barrel/
      donk bets are often bluffs by weak players, so a raise many times takes the pot.

My expreince playing the lag style( played over 40vppip).