Strategy when playing against those with slightly less brain power.

• Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      What strategy should one use when playing low stakes (anything below $6) Hold'em SnG and MTT tournaments?

The players there seem to be playing from a number of mental hospitals and nuthouses, and any skill advantage one supposedly should have is for the most part negated. Most raises get called by several people, and one as to fold, if the flop did not hit. The best one can do, is reach the late stage, possibly the bubble in tournament with a fairly small field, just by sitting tight, taking player notes and attacking the GOOD players by stealing their blinds, and sometimes re-stealing, or on occasion doubling up from a player who made such a play, you can not figure out, if he is incredibly clever, or incredibly stupid.

But as it stands, the nuthouse candidates, and there are loads of them indeed, tend to make it to the end stages as well. At least a small percentage, yet enough to fill a considerable part of the final table. Stealing there won't work, waiting for good hands won't work either, as you get blinded away, and if you get a decent hand and decide to go all in with it, a big stack will almost certainly call it and bust you about 40% of the time, if he does not have a playable hand, or 80% of the time, when he happens to have something.

Makes me wonder, if there is any skill involved whatsoever, if it only gets you so far? It seems to be more of a disadvantage, because of the time I end up wasting to get kicked out on, or close to the bubble. Or on a few good occasions with getting a small profit for my time, and on a very few occasion when I end up winning, but that has not happened for ages. Especially on the low limits.

Anything less than $3 buy in is practically impossible to beat playing normally and without having a lot of luck on your side. $6 tournaments and upwards seem to be playable, as there seem to be less idiots per seat there.

But what is the best way to beat such people? I don't believe straightforward poker would do it, as I can't wait for good hands forever, and even then chances are I end up getting beat. Even if you get doubled up by some idiot, the next one will take it all, and if by some miracle it won't, the third one will.
  • 7 replies
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      try playing freerolls. morrons going allin with K high or bottom pairs. awesome.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      I have played those. And no, I value my time enough, as not to play them. I am enough entertained by the clowns I see at the small stakes games.
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      so play higher stakes. Will not get sucked out by worse hands too often AND will get more more $$ in return, hence the higher buy-in. What's the problem?
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      My bankroll does not allow for it at this time.
    • Xidjo
      Xidjo
      Bronze
      I use their stupidity. :D

I almost went broke and now when I'm recovering and playing NL2 there's plenty of players like those and the best thing is they actually call my AA all-in with T9o! :D They're so damn stupid that you can make a lot of money out of them, seriously...

As for tournaments, if blinds/bets ain't no high and you got full table of those nerds, then try to play loose, try to see all flops possible even with probable hands, chances are that you will make three-of-a-kind, full-house, two-low-pair, well you get it, right? Then just try to get chips out of them, knock them out! :)

Xidjo
      Bronze
      Your short answer has 2 parts.

Time and patience.

Now my disease kicks in. It's called writes too long posts all the time.

I have personally went from the ultra micro SNGs right up to so far the $6.50s and I can tell you
      that what you wrote is actually what you want to have happen. You sit tight and wait for monster
      hands. It is that simple. You waste no chips on spewy fancy play or seeing flops infact the strategy
      is laid out in the articles and videos. I recommend the bronze and silver videos to see how effective
      the strategy really is first hand.

You said they bust you out 40% of the time when they call with worse cards then yours. This is good.
      By your numbers you are winning 60% of the time when you go in ahead which is supposed to happen.

Of course they will bust you piles of times when they call with better cards but as long as you have
      your ranges right, then you are doing the right thing by getting in ahead and if you only see monsters
      when you are pushing well more often anyways then your opponents are calling way too tight. If you
      only see monsters when they are pushing and you are calling then you are not getting their ranges right.

With the looser players comes more all ins and more variety of all ins which infact does increase
      the variance for you. This is inescapable. I suggest you get comfortable with the winning strategy
      and slowly increase tables untill you are at a volume where you can see some longer term results
      and the fruit of your work will be obvious.

Doing this is far better than moving up to higher limits because at higher limits more people are playing
      with knowledge of starting hands and push fold etc etc so your edge is smaller and you actually make
      even less money in the short term unless you yourself are both rolled and skilled enough for the limit.

You are right about the good players being prime targets for steals. just be careful that you notice
      when the few that adjust actually do adjust and stop picking on them so wide. This is about all
      the advice I can think of for now.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      You have to be patient especially in the low bui-in MTT's. I'm playing them myself from time to time and I know how crazy it can be to play them. But the key to success is sitting tight and picking good spots and after enough MTT's you will see the good results...

EDIT: Just saw that I'm basically repeating what 897 said :rolleyes: