[NL2-NL10] My worst hand so far (set of sixes)

• Dandiiik
      Dandiiik
      Bronze
      Hi, I would like this hand to be evaluated. I think I can play well the BSS, I play kinda looser than the starting hand chart recommends but it works for me so I keep it. But this hand I was probably completely out of my line. I know the call preflop was donkish but it would have been good because I tried to hit a set and he was very very tight which I didnt notice. The plan would be to want him to hit something. On the flop I donked in but the donk bet was still half a pot so it is not so bad. But the min 3bet is first big mistake in my opinion. I should have called. Then on the turn where I didnt complete a full house the check raise strategy was the worst of all. As I said, I didnt notice his very very tight style (according to holdem manager stats). So this check raise lost this hand to me. In my opinion a call would have been appropriate. And if I wouldnt have hit a full house or quads on the river I would have given up because he was very aggressive in comparation to his stats and I should have seen that set is not good enough.

I would just like to know if I am right about this hand or is there anything else I should be aware of next time? Thank you

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $1.83
      BU:
      $3.69
      SB (Hero):
      $5.00
      BB:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $1.42
      MP3:
      $2.12

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, 6.
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.04) 9, 6, T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.02, BB raises to $0.10, Hero raises to $0.20, BB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.04) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.68, Hero raises to $1.56, BB raises to $4.34, Hero raises to $4.48, BB calls $0.14.

River: ($10) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sixs(6 6).
      BB shows a straight, ten high(8 7).

BB wins with a straight, ten high(8 7).
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Raise preflop. When he is so tight you would love to win his BB right here.

There are some draws on the flop and you will want some value from them. Bet for both protection and value. After getting raised raise to 35 and call shove.

PP: Don't post the results.
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      Raise preflop. When he is so tight you would love to win his BB right here.

There are some draws on the flop and you will want some value from them. Bet for both protection and value. After getting raised raise to 35 and call shove.

PP: Don't post the results.

I agree with kymupa here.

Raise preflop

Raise more on the flop, and raise again to his 2nd re-raise. Just try and get it in on the flop.
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I agree with Toby and kym said about pre-flop: just raise it up. NEVER open limp the sb. EVER :D It's one of the 7 deadly sins in poker

I'll have to disagree about stacking off on the flop though. We're 250bb deep here. Stacking off with bottom set on this board for such a huge stack can be a costly mistake. What's our opponent stacking off with that we beat?

I doubt draws stack off on the flop. I even doubt 2P stack off on the flop. They'll likely just call after the 11th reraise :D

I think he's only stacking off sets+ here and we obviously do really bad against that range. But EVEN if we're up against 2P plus, we're less than a 60% favourite, so we're in a really bad shape against his range.

The best way to play it imo is: 3b bigger on the flop (46c-50c). If he raises back, just call him to hit your FH. If you don't hit, you must give up to further aggression, because he's totally crushing you :)

Cheers!