Poker winnings

• EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      At what SnGs do you starting winning more than ~500$/month, on average of course? Or could some of you SnG players out there tell me just about how much they earn at their limit. By that I mean an amount you could withdraw and still have the BR to remain at the current limit.

Thanks!
  • 11 replies
    • cojonel
      cojonel
      Global
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      At what SnGs do you starting winning more than ~500$/month, on average of course? Or could some of you SnG players out there tell me just about how much they earn at their limit. By that I mean an amount you could withdraw and still have the BR to remain at the current limit.

Thanks!
      Thinking at your profits while playing poker its definetly -ev...and u could easily have months with -$$...so i think u have to take a job and have a hobby poker...master it in time and then live with poker winnings really!
      Hope it helps!gl
    • alberts1955
      alberts1955
      Bronze
      i'd like to know that too :)
      if pros can share some info
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      $6 sngs should do the trick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alverine
      $6 sngs should do the trick
      This.

I am no pro but you can do it if you put in enough volume of quality play. The key word is average
      though, as posted earlier you can easily have a losing month even if you put in the same full volume
      of quality play.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      @cojonel: I'm not thinking only about the money. It's just that I need to know if I'm not wasting my time grinding and learning or should just play occasionally for play chips. That's what I think I should do if I'm not trying to be a winning player. I'm not talking about reaching for the stars, but it's nice to know that by doing something fun you can pay rent or something now and then.

@everyone else: I almost blew the whole 50$ from PS.com, made a deposit which I'd withdrawn from another site (earned thourgh freerolls, promotions) to FTP. I said it's worth giving it another try simply because I was winning, just tilted like an idiot and entered some 1/4 BR SnGs. I'm really having fun playing and learning poker, but let's be serious: we all like to see than graph line going up!

What volume are we talking about in terms of normal speed 9-max SnGs? And about the losing periods, the strict BRM should help not to go down more than a limit, 2 max. But losing periods can also be compensated with the some MTT final table or even win. So, that's why I asked for average: It means you can win 2000 one month and lose 1000 the other... it's still 500 in 2 months.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      You should probably focus on improving alot first. It sounds like your at the very beginning of your poker journy. Since you just completely ignored BRM..

Becoming a proffesional poker player isn't any different then studying to become a docter or a lawyer imo. You have to put alot of effort and time into studying and improving to become one. And imo anyone can live of poker, if you just put in the effort. It it's going to fall into your lap, you'll have to work hard for it.

Perhaps it's even harder. Because you need an incredible amount of discipline in poker. Because although sites like pokerstrategy help you, you have to put all the effort in yourself.

It's like trying to become a lawyer without going to law school and just do it yourself with books..
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      you can make $500/month on the 6s easily if ur half decent at sngs and put in some ok volume.

if you put in 800-1k games / month (assuming your true roi is about 5-8%, and thats a pretty big assumption for a new player) it will be pretty hard to have a losing month, you should be climbing quite steadily.

i would estimate my real roi to be around 8% on average over the limits and i havent had a losing month in 6 months (600-1000 games / month) .

the key is to get GOOD at sngs first! this will increase your ROI, reduce your variance and increase your $/hr. this might take a few thousand games at the micros, but you will have a lot easier time moving up with some basic knowledge.
    • stewil007
      stewil007
      Bronze
      I would love to have the time to play 800 - 1000 sngs a month.......what do most of you people do in normal life? Or is poker normal life?

Working full time and family life make it difficult for me to do 100 a month and that would be a good month!
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stewil007
      I would love to have the time to play 800 - 1000 sngs a month.......what do most of you people do in normal life? Or is poker normal life?

Working full time and family life make it difficult for me to do 100 a month and that would be a good month!
      You can easily do this with 2 sets of 16 tables which is around 45 mins a set a day on Stars IDK about Tilt yet.

I try and fit in either 4 sets of 12 or 2 sets of 25 by playing 12 in succession which takes ~1.5 hours each set
      on stars. It is easy to find 45 mins 4 times in your entire day. You can get up a little earlier and play a set in the
      morning. If your morning is the American fish morning it is ripe because they are all dead tired and trying to
      chase their losses etc etc. You can fire off 2 sets before bed instead of watching boring old tv or something.

But getting to this volume takes time. If you can only play 1 game at a time then just play 1 game at a time.

Poker is a long term deal. Longer for some than others. You could be playing for months before you can
      play 4 or 6 tables at a time and there is no shame in that. Rushing will just ruin your chances of success.
    • stewil007
      stewil007
      Bronze
      I've just got my free $50 for Cake and because of the automatic bankroll protection, i only play the $1 SNGs and it seems you'd be lucky to get 3 tables going at any one time....take up is very slow.

I won't say i'm destroying this level....as that just jinxes my results, but i'm cashing a lot more than not just by playing solid ABC poker, so i actually wouldn't mind playing 3 or 4 tables at a time.

Plus it would help clear my bonus.....boy, is it laborious at the mo!
      Bronze
      Fixed limit (FR and SH) and SNGS are two things that I have found vary big time in available traffic sitewise.

One euro site just sucked for me to play on because I am in Canada and at my play hours the site had
      almost 0 SNG traffic. Not much I can suggest to you except to play on untill the $50 is yours and try
      out Pokerstars or Full Tilt for solid SNG traffic at all hours. Some might say switch to BSS NL untill you
      have your bonus cleared because the traffic is mainly NL on most of these sites but IDK if it is a good
      idea to be switching styles if your new to the game.

Just hang in there and keep beating them as they are available to you is my advice and when the time
      comes that you can move do so asap.