Read on opponents

• kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      I have been advice to get more read on opponents. Because in a multi-tabling session I will find it difficult as I m beginner and I do struggle a bit to concentrate and follow the game, it is hard for me to take a note on each opponent. There is a post or a guide on how to read the stats (HUD) of Holdem Manager to give at each players a approximate range of hands?
      Thx :heart:
  • 14 replies
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      maybe start by playing less tables?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think you should just play less tables for the time being. It takes many hands for your HUD to get a correct "read".
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      I find that the most important stats are fold BB/SB to steal especially in the late stages of a SnG...
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      i play atm 1 table and try to read my opponents but unable todo so.. i see them fold and than 2 rounds later i forgot what they did... i try and try and try but cant seem to be able to put certain players to some player styles..

Time for Holdem manager i think :)
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      step 1: play less tables

you need to develop a comfortable feeling for the players and be confident in your game before adding more tables. Quality > Quantity!!!

step 2: learn which reads are important!

you dont need to write down every single hand everyone plays. in the early-mid stages just get a general idea of whether the player is loose or tight, is he always in a hand? does he fold a lot? does he give up his blinds a lot?

Even a basic 'he is loose or he is tight' will help you A LOT in deciding on how to play different hands.

The most important part of a SnG is the late stage push fold game. so you need to pay careful attention to which players are pushing a lot and which players are folding a lot! This is where all the $$$ is made in the SnG and this information is going to be vital when you make a decision on whether you can push into your opponents or call their push.

Another important read is the 'high blind limpers'. Note which players will limp at lvl 100+ and then fold to a push, or limp trashy hands. If you see a player doing this you can start pushing all in over his limps (after you feel comfortable with pushing ranges). this is a very profitable play in a SnG!

step 3: get a HUD, either PT3, HEM or pokerstrategy Elephant.

if you need help setting up these HUDs / knowing how to read the statistics im happy to help anyone do that.

NOTE: for you micro-grinders a HUD is not essential in beating the low stakes. you can be a big winner without a HUD and you should learn a good game and use the HUD as a tool just to help.

These numbers will help you when you decide to increase your multi-tabling because you can see very quickly which players are loose and which are tight and a few other important factors of their game just by glancing at your HUD.

If you want to take SnGs (or poker) seriously i highly recommend buying a HUD program as soon as you can afford it.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      ^ What he said :D
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee
      step 1: play less tables

you need to develop a comfortable feeling for the players and be confident in your game before adding more tables. Quality > Quantity!!!

step 2: learn which reads are important!

you dont need to write down every single hand everyone plays. in the early-mid stages just get a general idea of whether the player is loose or tight, is he always in a hand? does he fold a lot? does he give up his blinds a lot?

Even a basic 'he is loose or he is tight' will help you A LOT in deciding on how to play different hands.

The most important part of a SnG is the late stage push fold game. so you need to pay careful attention to which players are pushing a lot and which players are folding a lot! This is where all the $$$ is made in the SnG and this information is going to be vital when you make a decision on whether you can push into your opponents or call their push.

Another important read is the 'high blind limpers'. Note which players will limp at lvl 100+ and then fold to a push, or limp trashy hands. If you see a player doing this you can start pushing all in over his limps (after you feel comfortable with pushing ranges). this is a very profitable play in a SnG!

step 3: get a HUD, either PT3, HEM or pokerstrategy Elephant.

if you need help setting up these HUDs / knowing how to read the statistics im happy to help anyone do that.

NOTE: for you micro-grinders a HUD is not essential in beating the low stakes. you can be a big winner without a HUD and you should learn a good game and use the HUD as a tool just to help.

These numbers will help you when you decide to increase your multi-tabling because you can see very quickly which players are loose and which are tight and a few other important factors of their game just by glancing at your HUD.

If you want to take SnGs (or poker) seriously i highly recommend buying a HUD program as soon as you can afford it.
      I have the small-stake version of Holdem Manager (at moment I only play SNGs micro-limits).
      I have set-up and I don't have a big issue with the interface of the software; I manage to deal with a set-up but I would like (and absolutely appreciate) if you may help to learn how to read the statistics (especially when I am at the table playing) Thank you!

Also, but I don't want abuse of your kindness, it will be great for some line-guide on how to set an appropriate post-session analysis of my palying!
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      jeez! stop abusing his kindness! :D
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kiromanAAKK
      I have the small-stake version of Holdem Manager (at moment I only play SNGs micro-limits).
      Make sure you set it so the HUD only pops up for people you have played <100 hands against. Stats are too unreliable with fewer hands than that... Stats give you a general idea of "he is loose" (i.e. high VP$IP) or "he is tight" (low VP$IP), "he is TAG" (low VP$IP, high Aggression Factor..), "he is passive" (high VP$IP high Fold to CBet) etc. etc. Stats I use mostly are VP$IP obviously but also things like Fold to Steal, Fold to Cbet, Bet Flop, Went To Showdown % etc. etc. etc. Seeing as preflop is the most important street of a SnG, you should be mostly looking at VP$IP and Fold BB to Steal, or Limp-Fold (if there is such a stat...)
      Bronze
      Stats usually give me an idea of who is a complete monkey or not within 30 hands.

Granted it is not set in stone but someone with vpip of 80 over the first 20-30 hands
      is going to get a lot less respect from me when they are in a hand with me then someone
      who has 0 or 10 or something.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      I have set-up and I don't have a big issue with the interface of the software; I manage to deal with a set-up but I would like (and absolutely appreciate) if you may help to learn how to read the statistics (especially when I am at the table playing) Thank you!

Also, but I don't want abuse of your kindness, it will be great for some line-guide on how to set an appropriate post-session analysis of my palying!
      You are in luck, i just had a coaching session (and therefore have a recorded video) with one of my students on interpreting stats. it is aimed at higher levels, but you might be able to get something out of it. if you, or anyone else, is interested hit me up on skype and ill send it accross.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lessthanthreee

You are in luck, i just had a coaching session (and therefore have a recorded video) with one of my students on interpreting stats. it is aimed at higher levels, but you might be able to get something out of it. if you, or anyone else, is interested hit me up on skype and ill send it accross.
      Would you be interested in making videos for poker strategy? In the suggestion area they said
      they lack english coaches. I think you are good enough and it has to pay decent.
    • Unam
      Unam
      You have been told almost everything, best advice is play less tables.

If you want to get a clue of what stats are, here are two videos:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/10045
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/10263
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      I'm playing on cake, where no HUDs are allowed, so I work only with notes. I normally play only 2 tables at once, on lowest level.

In one of the videos(I think by Steinek, one of the "push or fold") that you need to be careful about regulars, and think of the others as fish until they prove otherwise. And I may add, sometimes you already know by the name(someone who calls himself a donkey quite often is one; generally the more "$" in a name, the worse he plays). So you have a rough idea about the play just by looking who is at the table.
      In the early stages I don't really watch the game. If there's a showdown and I see REALLY stupid cards, the card history comes in handy...I just make a simple note like "fish", "bluffer", "maniac"..whatever comes to my mind, really^^ But those guys are normally busted before the game really begins.
      If there is a regular I watch more closely on how he is behaving(i.e. there is one who always goes All-in with AJ, but raises or folds with other hands).
      In the middle phase I concentrate a bit more on the game, and note who is limping often, or minbets, and with what cards. By then I normally know who knows how to play and who does not.
      Well in the late phase I take only few notes(normally regarding slowplay, letting oneself be blinded out against good pot odds and so on), but take advantage of the notes I made in the play: a tighter pushing-range against very bad players(they like calling with 22 with any stack), a wide pushing range against most limpers and almost no pushes against slowplayers.

I think just taking notes should be sufficient against most players (though a program could save some work:) )