How realistic is to make $1,000usd / month?

• strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Hello Everyone,

This is a thread specially for those making money playing poker.
      I want to ask a question...

How realistic is to make $1,000 / month playing poker, I am basically new at this and I am starting multi tabling at the lowest limit and then going up as my bank roll grows, so this is my question...

What does it take to make $1,000usd monthly?
      Is it possible?

I don't want to make $1,000usd in 1,2 or 4 months I know it takes time and I am willing to train for it, but I want to hear from those making money, what it takes to do it. I know there is a lot of people that don't like to talk about their income but some do, please help me out, just let me know, is it possible? How many tables you play? for how long? and so on...

Thanks in advance!
      strosdegoz
  • 23 replies
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      realistically possible. a few examples:

if you can beat nl25 with 3bb/100 hands, u need 130k hands per month.
      and if u can avg 1000 hands per hour, u would need 133hours per month. if you work 20days a month, u need to spend 6.667hrs per day.

if you can crush nl10 with 10bb/100 hands, u need 100k hands per month.
      avg 1000 hands per hr, play 100hrs per month, work 20days a month, play 5hrs a day.

if u can beat nl100 with 3bb/100 hands, u will need 33k hands per month, so on so on so on.

u can work the sums urself. anyhow it is very much feasible.

depending on ur limits and how much u play, u can earn that us$1k just base on rakeback itself.

with reference to the nl10 example with 100k hands, assuming a 27% rakeback and rake is approx $1/100hands, u can get $1/100 * 100k * 27% = $270. thats 27% of your target achieved.

basically (winrate @ NL(?) + rakeback%) * hands

but if u just started out poker, its probably more important to get the foundations right. bankroll is of utmost importance.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for your reply supeyrio,

Right now I can play up to 1,000 hands in just 1 hour and make a profit either small or big still is a profit. I still don't understand the terms about BB and all that but I somehow get a picture of what you are saying, can you figure out something calculating that I can play 1,000 hands / hours?

Thanks in advance.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by strosdegoz

Right now I can play up to 1,000 hands in just 1 hour and make a profit either small or big still is a profit. I still don't understand the terms about BB and all that but I somehow get a picture of what you are saying, can you figure out something calculating that I can play 1,000 hands / hours?

Thanks in advance.
      BB = big blinds.

in NL10, where blinds are 0.05/0.10, bb = 0.10.
      in poker terms, win rate is define as bb/100 hands
      so 3BB/100hands in NL10 means one averages 3 * $0.10 for every 100hands.
      how do you work out your win rate?
      (total winnings/no. of hands played) * (100hands/Big blind of your limit).

u can play 1000 hands per hour. so using your winrate, bb/100hands * 10 = bb/1000hands. so this is how many bb u make in 1000hands or per hour. i'm sure u can figure the sums working to $1k yourself
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio

Thanks in advance.
      BB = big blinds.

in NL10, where blinds are 0.05/0.10, BB = 0.10.
      in poker terms, win rate is define as BB/100 hands
      so 3BB/100hands in NL10 means one averages 3 * $0.10 for every 100hands.
      how do you work out your win rate?
      (total winnings/no. of hands played) * (100hands/Big blind of your limit).

u can play 1000 hands per hour. so using your winrate, BB/100hands * 10 = BB/1000hands. so this is how many BB u make in 1000hands or per hour. i'm sure u can figure the sums working to $1k yourself
      Actually BB would = 0.20

BB = Big Bet (2x big blind)

bb= big blind

Winrate is measured in BB atleast in PT3 and HEM is is.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      no, in hem it's bb :P
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      oh sry. i mean bb not BB. lol
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      it's pretty unrealistic unless you're really bad
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      easy if you invest some eff0rt in it
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      1000 hands/hr on NL10?? It's the most stupid thing you can do IMO ^^

I can imagine 16tabling to make sense on NL100-200 to get some nice rb, but doing it on micros is just waste of time & energy...

cut the tables down to 6 and move up - there's no money @ NL10; everyone's solid :f_biggrin:

seriously; dont grind micros, it's not helping you to improve at all... if you want to make some nice money (1k/month is not), you need to study game a bit, whats impossible (no matter what others say) while playing 1k hands/hr.

just my 2 cents :f_cool:
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice Opal but as I read here in PokerStrategy I need to build my bankroll first before moving to higher levels.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      It looks like you've read wrong advices then. ;)

I'm not going to try to convince you about anything though, so if you think it's good idea, do as you believe it's good for you.

Good luck!
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      1000 hands/hr on NL10?? It's the most stupid thing you can do IMO ^^

I can imagine 16tabling to make sense on NL100-200 to get some nice rb, but doing it on micros is just waste of time & energy...

cut the tables down to 6 and move up - there's no money @ NL10; everyone's solid :f_biggrin:

seriously; dont grind micros, it's not helping you to improve at all... if you want to make some nice money (1k/month is not), you need to study game a bit, whats impossible (no matter what others say) while playing 1k hands/hr.

just my 2 cents :f_cool:
      im not suggesting anything, just doing the math to reach his goal.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      So can I play nl10 with $50usd?
    • DiSpirit
      DiSpirit
      Bronze
      Yes, if:

1) You know you'r a winning player capable of crushing this limit
      2) Rational enough to realize when to stop and move down a limit

Even then it's risky and if you have 1) checked it will take you next to no time to double your BR at nl5 and play with ease at nl10
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      opal wins the thread imo.
    • strosdegoz
      strosdegoz
      Bronze
      Well guys you are the Professionals, so I am taking your advices, thanks a lot and see how things go.

Thanks a lot!
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Yes you can, but it will be out of BRM ;)
      With $50 you can play BSS NL2 meaning 25 BI which is okish.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by DiSpirit
      Yes, if:

1) You know you'r a winning player capable of crushing this limit
      2) Rational enough to realize when to stop and move down a limit

Even then it's risky and if you have 1) checked it will take you next to no time to double your BR at nl5 and play with ease at nl10
      5 BI BRM is ok, if 1) & 2) apply?? Are you serious? If so, what is happening to this forum? :rolleyes:

playing NL10 with 50$ BR is suicide, so to original question: no, No & NO!
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I need to build my bankroll first before moving to higher levels.
      Right! But i believe you can built it and improve at the same time. And unless you're crushing NL10, you will earn more 6tabling than 16tabling :f_cool:
      (rakeback is not counted in, but it's irrelevant on these limits)

Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      opal wins the thread imo.
      hope it wasnt sarcasm ;)