Which direction should my life go?

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I have no idea what i want to become, what kind of career i want. I know i'd hate to spend all day in a suit behind a desk, i don't want a job that im going to have to drag myself to everyday i cant think of anything more depressing but i know i need something stable and constant One day like alot of others here id like poker to be my main income but that dream is so far away and close to impossible for me at the moment.

I'd really like to work for myself, to me this would be the biggest motivation not having a fixed salary. Knowing that the harder i work the bigger the payoff will be but have no ideas or any starting capital even if i did have ideas.

I was thinking about starting a degree with the open university, this means doing it at home for those who dont know (sorry not trying to be patronising), in mathmatics or physics but i think i just like the ideas of knowing these subjects rather than any oppertunities they will open up in the future.
  • 19 replies
    • thebigheizung85
      thebigheizung85
      Silver
      Go to a real university and get a good education. That helps you figuring out things in life, things you like and things you don't like. Study what you like and at the end of the studies there are jobs that promise something different from what you've expected when you started your studies.

Having a cute girlfriend is not the worst thing in the world and should be a good motivation to stick to your plans of getting some kind of career.

And forget about playing poker for a living! That dream is just keeping you apart from real life!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I dont think the poker is stopping me from anything i only really play for fun im not hanging on to some dream of turning my cents into millions. I'm trying to learn all the basics now in my "spare time" and one day would like to earn enough money from a job to play with a decent BR then i would take it more seriously (i worded that all wrong)
      Bronze
      By reading what you are writing it seems you do not have much ambition.

No offense is meant by this. For example, you have alot of reasons not to do something but very
      few reasons to do something specific. Another example is the "unhelpful" people at the job bank.

If you want some factory job moving boxes in a boring back room or some other mindless form
      of labor then the job bank is the way to go.

My advice would be to go out to places, private companies. At your age you can land a job just
      by talking your way in the door... I am young and curious and wish to work and learn about xxxx.

Just make xxx whatever said company does. You can try your hand at all sorts of things and maybe
      try find something you like enough to persue.

Once you find something, being in the door by working in the field makes it much easier to follow
      a path through that career.

Just thinking about things and heading to the job bank is permanent blue collar. Lift this up and put
      it down over there. Ok repeat. Here is your half ass pay cheque don't be late on Monday.
    • rorrlsh
      rorrlsh
      Bronze
      here's a little motivation...

bit sarcastic and take no offense but you don't want to end up like that

so forget about making your life from poker, it can be helpful for getting small things on a side, like earn money for some nice travel or sth, but you don't want to be dependent only on that.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Since when having poker as main income = no life?
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      define life please
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      lol that south park is awesome "this could be the end of the world....of warcraft" haha.
      Bronze
      The first major step is to stop relying on other people.

If you are in a small town then everything is within walking distance or even a bike ride.

Also it is a million times easier to get work close to home with little commute.

Sure you won't get a university degree or find something AMAZING there most likeley but you can start
      out by putting away first and last months rent and enough money for a car.

I lived in a house with 5 other people once. A few of them were pretty new to Canada.

My born here friends sounded much like youself and this new guy was going out with no car no
      license no money and comming home with solid interesting jobs. Working them untill he found they
      were not for him and while working the first one with 1.5-2 hours commute time via bus finding
      other work and leaving one for the other. He did this untill he found work at a film studio and
      from what I knew he went on to doing real work in the film industry.

Case in point is that he had no reasons why he could not do this. Not even one.

He did say it sucks how such a modern country has such a backwards transit system but he
      still plowed on and did it.

He relied on himself and thats the kick start I think you need.

Stop looking for answers from other people and go do your living and they will come to you.

BTW it won't be easy. Not even a little bit.
    • Skyscrapers
      Skyscrapers
      Bronze
      if being poker pro is your dream, then that's what you should go for. there is not a single reason for one to give up his dreams. you'll probably fail but that's ok. it's just like robot unicorn attack you know you'll fail but it's still fun to play :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Im kinda in your situation but at the same time not....

I'm 21 years old. I left school when i was 16. Since then i went from shitty job to shitty job (supermarkets, offlicence's, that kind of thing). I got made redundant from my lattest job at the start of January 2009, since then i've been attempting to play poker for a "living". Because i only play NL25/50, its been a fucking grind and a half. I resent playing full time, offcourse playing higher and im sure it would be better, but there actually days when i dont want to play. Anyway moving on.....
      I dont want to go back to some crappy dead end job, and i was never one either for eduaction (Collage and UNI). But the fact i'v been playing poker means iv been shuting myself away and rarley meating new people (Unless its through friends i already had). I decided enough was enough, so im now starting collage in september when the new educational year begins. I chosse a subject i had some intrest in at GCSE (Media studies, film & television, moving image, editing). My main reassons are: 1) To meet new people and in the process make new friends and maybe even find a nice girlfriend. 2) To get some kind of routine back in my life rather than shuting myself indoors all day. It may well turn out that after i finish collage i may still not have any direction in my life or i may infact of loved the course so much that i decide to go on to UNI. Atleast im now making some effort to improve my life and way of living. Maybe you should try doing something simillar? What i mean is identiffy what it is about you life presantly you either dont like or want to change and think of away to improve that. As i said for me that was wanting to meet new people and get some routien back in my life, so thats why collage seemed like a good idea to me.
      One last note is unless you're playing NL200 or higher i wouldnt suggest playing poker full time. From my expeiance the novalty of been a "pro" quickly wears off. I now think its always best keeping a hobby a hobby and keeping the fun and enjoyment element. I hate the whole dependance on your winnings. IMO treating poker like a long term investment, similar to stocks, shares, bonds & property is the best way of approuching poker.

Any way i hope you manage to get something usefull out of this.

All the best.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn

I'm 21 years old. I left school when i was 16. Since then i went from shitty job to shitty job (supermarkets, offlicence's, that kind of thing). I got made redundant from my lattest job at the start of January 2009, since then i've been attempting to play poker for a "living". Because i only play NL25/50, its been a fucking grind and a half. I resent playing full time, offcourse playing higher and im sure it would be better, but there actually days when i dont want to play. Anyway moving on.....
      I dont want to go back to some crappy dead end job, and i was never one either for eduaction (Collage and UNI). But the fact i'v been playing poker means iv been shuting myself away and rarley meating new people (Unless its through friends i already had). I decided enough was enough, so im now starting collage in september when the new educational year begins. I chosse a subject i had some intrest in at GCSE (Media studies, film & television, moving image, editing). My main reassons are: 1) To meet new people and in the process make new friends and maybe even find a nice girlfriend. 2) To get some kind of routine back in my life rather than shuting myself indoors all day. It may well turn out that after i finish collage i may still not have any direction in my life or i may infact of loved the course so much that i decide to go on to UNI. Atleast im now making some effort to improve my life and way of living. Maybe you should try doing something simillar? What i mean is identiffy what it is about you life presantly you either dont like or want to change and think of away to improve that. As i said for me that was wanting to meet new people and get some routien back in my life, so thats why collage seemed like a good idea to me.
      One last note is unless you're playing NL200 or higher i wouldnt suggest playing poker full time. From my expeiance the novalty of been a "pro" quickly wears off. I now think its always best keeping a hobby a hobby and keeping the fun and enjoyment element. I hate the whole dependance on your winnings. IMO treating poker like a long term investment, similar to stocks, shares, bonds & property is the best way of approuching poker.

All the best.
      You and I basically have the same life :f_eek: ... same problems ... same goals ... and same views :) if u ever need to talk/cry/scream to/at someone .. feel free to contact me :]
    • DiSpirit
      DiSpirit
      Bronze
      ToExternalUseOnly:

I would very much recommend reading "4 hour work week" by Tim Ferris. Hopefully it will help you get inspired to define and reach the life you want
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey Carl,

DW, I'm in the same shoes. Minus the girl. hehe.
      I have no aspiration for a career. I play poker, Bodyboard, work, live at home and party.
      I still have no idea what I want to do or what I want to be and I'm 21. I'm not worried though. Something will come up or I'll go on a massive 1millionBI heater ;)

Regards,

Kyle.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      we all had this be4,,, is ok :)

play poker for one more year or two, if u cant prove that ur a winner...nd make a living..let it go nd get a 9to 5 job or wutever uni nd stuff...

gd luck
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Dude, you don't find out what to do in life from a bunch of strangers on a forum! Talk to your gf, other close friends, or just think it through until you figure it out.

Nobody actually knows for themselves, they just assume they made a right decision and go with it.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andreibalint
      Dude, you don't find out what to do in life from a bunch of strangers on a forum! Talk to your gf, other close friends, or just think it through until you figure it out.
      I totally disagree with this. I think a bunch of strangers have perspectives and an honesty that his close friends and relatives won't necessarily have.

Also the position he's in is familiar to everyone. We've all been there and I know personally I've been there quite a few times.

The advice given is this thread is pretty solid. If there's nothing going on in your life seek out further education or a job with lots of learning potential.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andreibalint

Nobody actually knows for themselves, they just assume they made a right decision and go with it.
      This is true...on an internet forum it is difficult to really understand the circumstances that different countries and cultures present e.g. how the hell can a kid in Austalia give advice to a kid in the UK? In fact how can one unemployed kid advise another at all!

PocketAcesJohn has the right idea.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gregor86
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn

All the best.
      You and I basically have the same life :f_eek: ... same problems ... same goals ... and same views :) if u ever need to talk/cry/scream to/at someone .. feel free to contact me :]

Well do you have msn or anything?I hope you manage to achive what you hope to =)
    • freelancerpoker
      freelancerpoker
      Basic
      Maybe I don't know your situation acctually. But I will share my opinion here.

It's not nescessary to go to the school or university to learn something new. I don't mean that university is not good, I just mean it is not nescessary. Just find a job that you can work well ( you pretty like it and you have abilities to do it), work well to earn money of your own. Then become a master of your job ( learn new technology, know all the ways and secrecs of your job, get a higher income and higher position), all the boss of your major will go to your house ask you to work for them with high salary if you have excellent skills. And finally, try to become a leader in your job.

That is my point.