[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Ak,a9,aa

• Strahinjak
      Strahinjak
      Bronze
      Today was the worst day of my short poker career -7BI at 10nl, lost KK<97s AI pf,AA < 97o...This made me tilt minimum 2BI that i'm sure of.

Villain is 47/36/15 over 54 hands

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):
      $10.00
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $23.41
      SB:
      $9.90
      BB:
      $11.37
      MP2:
      $16.80

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, A.
      MP2 raises to $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, 4 folds, MP2 calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.55) 9, Q, K (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.21, MP2 calls $1.21.

Turn: ($4.97) 9 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $3.54, MP2 calls $3.54.

River: ($12.05) T (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero raises to $4.05, MP2 calls $4.05.

Final Pot: $20.15.

Villain is 25/13/16 fold bb to steal 33%

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $11.56
      MP3:
      $11.91
      CO:
      $10.04
      BU (Hero):
      $10.00
      SB:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 9.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB folds, BB raises to $0.90, Hero raises to $3.00, BB calls $2.10.

Flop: ($6.05) 5, A, J (2 players)
      BB bets $1.60, Hero raises to $5.27, BB raises to $8.56, Hero calls $1.73.

Turn: ($21.61) 3 (2 players)

River: ($21.61) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $21.61.

Villain is 58/0/0 over 19 hands

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $1.18
      BU (Hero):
      $10.00
      SB:
      $20.33
      BB:
      $15.43
      MP2:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $11.04

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) T, T, 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.81, Hero calls $0.81.

Should I 3bet?

Turn: ($2.47) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.17, BB calls $1.17.

River: ($4.81) 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $4.57, Hero raises to $7.62, BB calls $3.05.

Final Pot: $20.05.
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I wouldn't shove the river. I know it looks like it's only a few $ more and the pot is already huge, but truthfully on that To river, every Jx combo got there, we don't beat KT/KJ anymore, and clubs/diamond draws can't call again either. He could have made a boat on the turn as well.

So really we're hoping he's a complete fish that will show up there with trashy Kx hands and call 3 streets, which isn't really evidenced by 47/36/15 stats over only 54 hands, he could just be some reg that steals a lot or happened to catch decent cards for the last few orbits, especially since he open raised to 4x instead of 3x or pot.

Make sure you have a good reason to 4-bet first of all, sample looks somewhat small again and your opponent doesn't look that loose. Nobody at nl10 is 3-betting light enough to force you to playback at them really. I'm not saying you should just sit back and take it, but you need to be sure that it's worth possibly getting stacked when you start going off script with hands like A9o, and most of the time it isn't.

When you do decide to 4-bet, you don't need to make it $3. Even something like $2.1 is usually enough to tell BB to get the hell out if he's 3-betting light.

Postflop I don't really think you'll get BB to fold once he starts putting money in the pot on his own, so you need him to lead out there with worse hands than A9o. Considering how bad a shape you're in if he shows up with stuff like JJ/AK/AQ possibly with a club, I don't really like going broke there. I'd probably either just call getting 4:1 and hope he slows down on the turn or straight up fold what was a pure 4-bet bluff to begin with.

You can 2-bet (=raise), but usually I won't do it with a hand as strong as AA on that board. It's hard for a 58/0/0 villain to hit, which means his range will often be comprised of air hands and Tx when he donks that board, even if so far he's been rather passive. Maybe he'll do it with pocket pairs as well tho I doubt he'd pot it, and even if he did, nothing tells us he'd continue against a raise. He will however jam every Tx hands over a raise and probably fold all his bluffs.

Since we aren't afraid of bad turn/river cards coming in, I usually just call hoping he continues to bluff with unpaired cards and possibly catches one pair on the way to pay us off even more.

On the turn he checks which doesn't really narrow down his range for us since we have no idea of how often he continues with his bluffs nor of how tricky he can get with monsters. I'd still bet when checked to and because he'll just not have much to pay off with a good amount of the time, I like that you made a smallish bet.

When he pot donks the flop then check/calls the turn and pot donks the river frankly I have no clue what he's doing, but I still think it's quite unlikely he's doing that with middling hands. By that I mean either he's completely out of his mind and he can't really call a raise from us with his air hands, or he has us completely smoked and we'd valueown ourselves by raising.

So we shouldn't raise, after that flip a coin between folding and calling? I'd probably end up calling just in case he's dumb enough to think he has two pairs with 86/65 or he's nonsensically bluffing since the begining, but I'm not thrilled about it.

Hope it helps.
    • Strahinjak
      Strahinjak
      Bronze
      Thank you so much.

Great read...I need to work a lot on my game.