Stack
      MP2:
      $1.85
      Hero:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $0.30

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6:heart: , 5:heart:
      MP2 raises to $0.07, Hero calls $0.07, CO folds, BU calls $0.07, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.24) 5:club: , 3:heart: , 9:club: (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.20, BU folds, MP2 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.64) Q:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.64) 5:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.40, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.64

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, fives (6h 5h)

Hero wins with three of a kind, fives (6h 5h)

Is betting out on the flop OK? I didn't really think it hit his raising range that much and I was hoping to just win the pot there without having to see more over cards. When he checks the turn I thought maybe he had a FD, should I bet again? (I had in my mind the small pot for a small hand theory).

Is there anything I could have done to get a bit more value when I do hit trips on the river? Bet sizing in that situation OK or should it be more/less?

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Hi,

Yeah flop is fine. I would prob bet turn. It's one of those situtions where the reason for betting isn't very clear. It might be for value vs flush draw, it might be as a bluff vs better pairs. It's hard to say without knowing what hands MP2 plays like this. But you have a ton of equity, so I just bet and see what happens : D

River bet sizing is fine.
    • Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply.

When you say I have a 'ton of equity' what exactly do you mean?
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      The probability of you winning the pot if you both went all in, or checked down from that point.

So obviously you are going to be more inclined to bet when you have a high change of winning. For instance, if MP2 calls the turn here with 77 or something,
      it's not the end of the world since there are 14 cards on the river that will give you the best hand. The bet rarely needs to work, given your flush draw and pair equity.
    • Jeffers16
      Jeffers16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      The probability of you winning the pot if you both went all in, or checked down from that point.

So obviously you are going to be more inclined to bet when you have a high change of winning. For instance, if MP2 calls the turn here with 77 or something,
      it's not the end of the world since there are 14 cards on the river that will give you the best hand. The bet rarely needs to work, given your flush draw and pair equity.
      Yeah makes sense.

Thanks.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'd be happier with the bet with a better read that MP2 is a tag, for all we know he could still be some aggro fish that won't necessarily check/give up that board , and if BU wasn't so short that it commits us against him. The combination of both makes betting somewhat dicey, but okay nevertheless.

Once you decide to bet the flop I think john covered the rest. You can't really go wrong with a bet on the turn even tho it's somewhat unclear what you're doing, you sometimes protect against draws and sometimes you get money in somewhat behind against higher pairs, which will usually be made up for by villain paying off a bet when we hit the flush two pair or trips.

Hope it helps.