[NL2-NL10] NL10 KQs(sb), fr

• TetraQuark
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, Q.
      CO posts deadblind, 3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.50, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.45, BB folds.

Flop: ($1.2) K, 9, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.6) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.10, Hero raises to $7.00, MP2 raises to $13.95, Hero calls $6.95.

River: ($30.5) K (2 players)

Final Pot: $30.5.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, kings(Ks Qs).
      MP2 shows a straight, jack high(Jd Td).

MP2 wins with a straight, jack high(Jd Td).

Dear judge pls read the whole essay and do advise otherwise it makes no sense! Thank you! :f_biggrin:

First of all let me explain why I called with KQ in first place. Villain is unknow(had a couple of hands which indicated that he was a solid player) but as he raised in mp2 I instantly checked out in search player feature if he is playing more tables. He was 6 or 8 tabling. So I automaticly gave him an isolating range because there was a dead blind poster infront of him.
      So here is actually a first mistake I made, a spot where I should have made a 3bet and take the pot down preflop ... but I am a pussy who doesn`t trust his own reads and logical thinking(but I guess that I need a whole other thread for that) :s_cry:

Flop is very dry, I am positive I have the best hand here. Check/call flop so he can fire his cbet with his Ax`s and broadway and I get a bit more money.

At the same time there is one example out of Hasenbratens video(big draws) flying through my head where he check raises turn ... but there is a difference between his and mine case ... he is the agressor, the card on turn gives him 8 additional outs(fd + oesd + tp). So I decide to c/r turn completly missing how that friggin 8 connects the board and the fact that this is really a board where he is paying my 3bet off only with hands that have me beat.

Well the rest is just as it is. I do get great odds and EQ, no doubt about that. But I seem to really get lost in these "strong" draw situation.

Had a talk with a good friend of mine and he layed it down as it was for me, basically saying that I shouldn`t turn hands with good sd value into semi bluffs. And I got pissed because I am an A hole(and because month of may is the shittiest eveeer). Sry man, u know I :heart: ya.
  • 1 reply
    • caltabiano

3betting pre is definitely an option, BUT I don't really hate calling if the BB is on the passive side and won't be 3betting a lot.
      You have a hand that's miles ahead of his isolating range (if he is indeed a regular who's gonna be isolating looser). If you 3b, he probably folds KJ, KT and you're isolated against AQ,AK... Of course we make some money pre flop and have the chance to take the pot down in case we both miss.
      So calling is really not bad, I say.

Flop is perfectly standard. Turn shouldn't be a c/r as you have already mentioned. Turn should be either a c/c OR possibly a db.
      I think this might actually be an interesting spot to db because:

- He shouldn't barrel this card as a bluff
      - He might even check back KJ for pot control, since the board got a bit uglier and he doesn't want to get c/r + he's got additional outs in case you have him beat
      - He's obviously checking back JJ-QQ, T9.

So, by db you get him to call a bunch of worse hands (JJ, KJ, T9...) that would check back =)

If he raises, we can play according to odds.

One advantage of c/c is that when we hit, our hand is pretty disguised because it's a backdoor flush and people have a hard time putting you on that =)

I like donkbetting though ;-)