This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Is ROI wrongly used?

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      I've been thinking a lot from my experience lately. I'm thinking ROI is no holy grail of stats, actually the right stat would be ROI per hour or something like that.

I say this because, some examples :

You went into a table with $10, you came out after 20 minutes with $15

You went into a table with $10, you came out after 1 hour with $15.

Same ROI. Totally different REAL profit IMO (if you value your time and effort)

Another example, this one which made me modify the tables and tournaments I was playing :

You buyin into tourney with $ 10, you came out with $15 after 4 hours.
      You play a table with $10, come out with $15 after 30 minutes.
      Or even : you on 5 tables with $2, come out with $3 each after 1 hour.

Same ROI, but very different situations

I don't have the exact words, but see what I'm getting to? Is common ROI not that useful of a stat for measuring your effort vs. profit per time played?

Any opinions? Is there any program that actually does this?
  • 5 replies
    • zamoda
      zamoda
      Bronze
      Thats why people use $/Hour. But it is not that easy to calculate. ROI is more discrete attribute.

You cannot calculate ROI for the cash tables.. Thats why for cash tables people use bb/BB per 100 hands.
      In your example the number of hands is different after 20 minutes and 1 hours.

ROI is used for tournaments because it is easy to calculate it there. ROI = Return of investment. lets say you pay 1000$ in tournament fees, and after playing them you have 1100$. That would be 10% ROI.

ROI for tournaments / bb@100hands are the best attribute to estimate if you are a loosing or winning player in a long term.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Yes, but that is exactly what I mean. I guess what I'm trying to do is find some equivalence between ROI for tourneys and bb/100 for cash tables, since I play both, to try to determine where I should concentrate.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      Originally posted by zamoda
      $/Hour
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      Originally posted by zamoda
      $/Hour

No troll comment? I is dissapointed.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alenstrat
      Yes, but that is exactly what I mean. I guess what I'm trying to do is find some equivalence between ROI for tourneys and bb/100 for cash tables, since I play both, to try to determine where I should concentrate.
      That depends on the limits you are playing. But I would say for a beginning that everything above 0 is a good start..