New here, a few worries and questions.

• Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm new here,

Haven't decided if I will take the quiz or not. And wheter Ill take the bankroll or not. I have a few worries that I would like an answer to first and a few questions.

I already blew one bankroll away on absolut. It was a 50$+50$. It started well. I made it to 178$ (less 45$ of bonus to clear). But then I got 'dreamy' and decided to buy-in into a >100$ tourney and lost everything. Obviously I dont want that to happen a second time...

1st Worry: It's about the ID check. From what I understand its actually random. I had to go throught a phone call in English (not my actual first language) to get it. The only ID you get in my province in canada is a social security card (without photo) and an healthcare card (with photo, name, birthdate, etc). I hope this will be sufficient as an ID since I don't have a passport or a driver license.

2nd worry: I'm going to be blunt. But thats how I feel so far. From looking at the articles (I can read the basic articles at the moment). It seems like you give a strategy to bronze members and a different ones for more advanced players. And sometimes those strategy seems to be "How to beat the strategy we tell to bronze/silver members". It seems like if Im given 50$ so that the gold+ members can win it from me it's a bit pointless.

So, Im a basic member till I take the quiz. Do I have a timelimit between the time I register for this site and the time I decide to actually take up the quiz?

And whats with that Fixed limit / No limit choice? Does it mean I cant access no limit articles if I chose fixed limit?

I feel much more confident in no limit, because I can actually evaluate my hands after the flop. But I feel idiotic when playing in fixed limit.

What are the conditions for withdrawing that 50$ or withdrawing any winnings I make for that? How many raked hands do I have to play for those 2 situations?
  • 10 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I can't answer your first and last question, Pushkin will do it later for sure, but I try answering the remaining questions. :)

- The strategy article you get in the beginning are written as simple as possible to be well understandable for people who are new to poker. While getting more experience and moving up the limits the opponent gets better and so you need advanced strategies to beat them. It's like learing to read. If you start learing to read you start witzh the ABC and not with Hamlet or something like that. :)
      What I try to say is that we don't give you money to just loose it to our better players. That wouldn't make much sense because the 50$ are our own money and not from our partners.

- You don't have a timelimit to start the quit. But you only have 30 minutes finishing the quiz after you started it. But don't worry it isn't that long and if you fail you still have 4 attemps. :)

- You can access NL and FL articles. It's your choice and you can switch whenever you want. The quiz is only for NL or FL because if we ask both but the person only wants to play NL he fails because he can't answer the FL questions.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yeah, Puschkin will deal with your more detailed queries.

As to losing your bankroll on entering tournaments, the only guarantee that you have that it won't happen again would be that you have learned some discipline. Don't put all of your bankroll on a tournament entry.

The articles become available very soon, regarding bronze level anyway, and that just details the SSS from what I remember. Again, refer Puschkin.

Getting $50 for nothing with the promise of another $100 once you have played for a while is money for jam, as we say in Australia. A no brainer really. Sounds like you were disappointed with yourself. Take this opportunity and do it a different way. It will require that you spend time, and there will be ups and downs. If you follow the suggested strategy, and stick with the recommended bankroll management, which is a major part of that strategy, you won't go broke.

As to ID checks, they are not mandatory, and you may not even be required to undergo one. Again, take the quiz and find out.

I see a lot of people who take the quiz, and then dont' get their money for a while, and they seem to feel that this site is a rip off. They do get the money, but sometimes there is a delay between the chosen site and PS.

I can say this. I got my money. It was 12 months ago. I have been playing and learning ever since, and I have built my bankroll. I expect to continue to do that. And it was money for jam. :)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mystrapoker!

Concerning your 1st worry: We are making our ID checks randomly. In case you have to send your ID please send a copy of the documents you mentioned above. If there is a problem we will contact you.

If you want to withdraw the $50 starting capital you have to play a certain amount of hands. The number depends on the poker room and the limits you play.

Concerning the other questions please read CiRiths and aciddrops answers.

Best regards,
      Puschkin81
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      My problem with the preceding bankroll is mainly that I was scared to lose.
      I played the lowest limits which were 0.05$/0.10$ at first. And I would get ups and down. So I decided to play SnGs and tournaments where I got most of my money.

The bad beats I seem to run into are peoples who have straight or flush draw who actually make their straight or flush. Even if I put 1/3 of the table buy-in to protect my hand before they get their straight or flush. I always lose a lot of money to that. (Lost 3$ just second ago to someone who made his straight when I had a set of kings.).

Yeah. I know it's part of the game and 3 times out of 4 they wont make their straight or flush. But if this happens like 10 times the 50$ is gone...
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      If by different strategies you mean short stack strategy versus big stack in NL then it's not the case at all that the former is giving money to the latter.

Short stacks have intrinsic advantages over big stacks in stack limit poker and a very good short stack can be exploiting everyone at the table, but they leave money on the table because they can't exploit as thoroughly without the extra money behind.

Big stacks focus on exploiting worse big stacks and can profit against very weak short stacks but lose a little to good short stacks. This doesn't (or shouldn't, you should see the noise people make about short stacks sometimes...) bother them much because the large pots have the greatest effect on their win rate.

If you short stack well, you'll be taking money from not only the fish but the best players at the table!
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Are there articles at the basic/bronze level that deal with evaluation your hand after the flop? Because when I started with that bankroll thats what I had the most problem with. I would keep calling with the 2 best pair or with the 2nd two-pair when there was a pair on board. Now I know it was a bad idea, but if someone had told me before I would have lost much less money.

I wasn't agressive enough when I started either. And I would let peoples get their flush or straight much too cheaply. The problem was simply that I didn't know how to evaluate my hand post-flop even if I knew what hands to play before the flop (I guess the starting hands in the articles are something like KK-TT and AKs-A10s and AKo-AJo).
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mystrapoker!

Please have a look at our strategy articles. There is all you are looking for: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/

Best regards,
      Puschkin81
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      Well. Thanks for all of your help. I have some issue to clear up with partypoker becausew someone used my computer to play at partypoker (the person that introduced me to poker). And he's going to have to email PP so I can create an account (Won't let me create one at all). Ill read the basic articles and practice what I read on pokerstars (since I won a couple of freerolls there). And when I feel ready Ill take the quiz.

So what comes first? Can I sign with partypoker with your bonus code right away or do I have to take & pass the quiz first?

And finally the big question. With me only being able to play like 10-15 hours a week because I work 38h a week. Do you really believe Ill be able to play 5000 raked hands in 45 days? (Because getting the other 100$ and the silver membership here is important if I get a decent bankroll).
    • Mystrapoker
      Mystrapoker
      Bronze
      bump?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mystrapoker
      So what comes first? Can I sign with partypoker with your bonus code right away or do I have to take & pass the quiz first?

And finally the big question. With me only being able to play like 10-15 hours a week because I work 38h a week. Do you really believe Ill be able to play 5000 raked hands in 45 days? (Because getting the other 100$ and the silver membership here is important if I get a decent bankroll).
      1) First the quiz than the registration at a poker room.

2) You don't need 5000 raked hands. You need a certain amount of points (e.g. on PartyPoker 800 basic PartyPoints).

Best regards,
      Puschkin81