A repeating problem

• QueenBeaver

I'm kinda new here. I am playing poker for about 6 weeks now, having fun, learning alot. I have passed the quiz, but am currently not able to fetch my 50$, currently I have no way to scan my ID, so I cannot advance at this time.

So I try asking my question here.

This situation often repeats itself. I raise from late position with a lower pair, get reraised. Now the BSS preflop play says fold, as the call 20 rule applies and if I get reraised from 4-6bb, it's at least double, often more. What do I do? I know the reraise from the blinds is usually to counter tries to steal pots, but I'm not.

Here, I tried to call for once, and it only cost me money. Did I do that right?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with T, T.
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB raises to $0.43, BB folds, Hero calls $0.23.

Flop: ($0.91) 6, Q, 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.31) A (2 players)
      SB bets $1.11, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.31.
  • 3 replies
    • Shevtshenko
      I'd propably play the hand pretty much the same. Pending on villain's tendencies, of course. But against unknown on that limit, I'd propably call pre also, float the flop. On turn you really don't beat anything but a pure bluff so it's a good fold. If you have a clue, what kind of range your villain is 3betting pre you can make better decisions both pre and postflop. Can't help more with that info, though.
    • noclaninator
      4bet shoving is possible too since you raised from BU. TT is kind of close for that though. If this opponent is an idiot (very likely since he is min reraising out of position) then this is what I would do especially with your short stack size of 60bb
    • jass1960
      As you don't know the villain's range I would have called his initial raise, looked for Ten on the flop and when it didn't drop got out of there. He might have been trying to resteal but it is more likely he had AQ or better.

I hate TT 99 - I think I should win with them, but more often than not don't and find them much harder to fold than say 44 55.

But don't give up on the Bet20 strategy, it works and it really is great because when you hit trips (and the odds are 1 in 9) you tend to win big!