[NL2-NL10] two AK and one AQ hands, NL10 FR

• Escobario
      ok i think i made a few bad plays last night, thought id post the hands here to get some opinions on my foul play :(

first one:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10.60)
      BB ($11.20)
      Hero ($13.05)
      UTG+1 ($8.30)
      UTG+2 ($10.65)
      CO ($9.75)
      BTN ($10.10)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: K:club:

Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.40, SB calls $0.35, fold

FLOP ($1.30) 8:diamond: A:spade: 3:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, BTN folds, SB raises to $2.40, Hero calls $1.60

TURN ($6.10) 8:diamond: A:spade: 3:heart: 2:diamond:

SB bets $4, Hero raises to $10.25 (AI), SB calls $3.80 (AI)

RIVER ($21.70) 8:diamond: A:spade: 3:heart: 2:diamond: J:club:

SB shows 3:spade: 3:diamond:
      (Pre 54%, Flop 98.1%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero shows A:heart: K:club:
      (Pre 46%, Flop 1.9%, Turn 0.0%)

SB wins $20.65

in my defence, my stats on the guy over 200 hands were 20vpip, 12pfr, and 29% checkraise on flop. so when he checkraised i knew it was likely he had a set on the dry board, but felt he could also have an AQ or AJ especially as he was bb and i could imagine him calling with those hands from there... although i still feel the right play would have been a fold to the checkraise.

hand number 2!:

SB ($20.45)
      BB ($15.85)
      UTG ($5.70)
      Hero ($10.20)
      UTG+2 ($12.35)
      MP1 ($7.80)
      CO ($9.65)
      BTN ($10)

Dealt to Hero A:heart: K:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, CO calls $0.40, fold, fold, BB calls $0.30

FLOP ($1.25) A:club: T:heart: T:spade:

BB checks, Hero bets $0.80, CO folds, BB calls $0.80

TURN ($2.85) A:club: T:heart: T:spade: 7:diamond:

BB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($2.85) A:club: T:heart: T:spade: 7:diamond: J:spade:

BB bets $2.10, Hero calls $2.10

Hero shows A:heart: K:spade:
      (Pre 43%, Flop 90.4%, Turn 95.5%)

BB shows J:club: J:diamond:
      (Pre 57%, Flop 9.6%, Turn 4.5%)

BB wins $6.75

now in this hand, his stats are 24/12, and after he called the flop i felt i was either way ahead or way behind, and had a feeling he was just feeding me rope with a T in his hand, so i checked the turn behind which was probably a BAD move (although it was by no means guaranteed he would fold the turn to a bet). called the river assuming he could be bluffing since i showed weakness, or possibly had the T, turns out i was wrong but he did easily have me covered...

last hand, this one i actually fold. although looking back it was a wet board and im not convinced it was the right play anymore... :

SB ($4)
      BB ($10)
      UTG ($9.50)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      UTG+2 ($11.45)
      MP1 ($12.50)
      Hero ($21.75)
      BTN ($12.90)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.75) Q:heart: 8:diamond: 7:heart:

Hero bets $0.60, BTN raises to $1.20, Hero raises to $2.50, BTN raises to $12.60 (AI), Hero folds

BTN wins $5.50

villians stats were 24/12 but only over 36 hands. i feel normally on this limit a minreraise means the have the freaking monster of all monsters. i figured his minreraise could also be a bluff, so i reraised it... looking back now... there was a flushdraw and a straightdraw, and he easily could have either of those here.

i feel maybe THIS was the hand i should have stacked off with as opposed to the AK vs 33 hand, considering there were both flush and straight draws on the table, after my 4bet it was probably the wrong move to fold here (it did take me about 40 seconds to finally click the fold button).

thanks for reading, let me know what u think, as i can see myself getting into these spots alot in the future... cheers
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

That's a spot where you should make sure you read your stats correctly.

While 29% check/raise flop is quite high and certainly warrants you not folding TPTK in general, it doesn't tell you in what situations he check/raises. Maybe he check/raises all the time Blinds vs BU/CO because everybody is really into the steal/resteal game, and never at all Blinds vs UTG without a monster.

It also doesn't tell you what hands he check/raises with. Most taggish players won't ever do it with a top pair hand, they'll just check/call and bluff-catch with it. I'm not saying it'd be a bad play with the right image, but tags just don't do it. It usually over-represents your hand and since other tags aren't willing to start calling down with marginal top pairs hands, the value in raising is generally quite thin. Especially on that board that is quite dry, there is virtually nothing for villain to have except a set (no draws to semibluff with or anything) if he never check/raises top pair hands, and it's also quite hard for hero to show up with a hand strong enough to call down.

I'd just bet/fold the turn, villain seems very cally preflop and it probably translates to postflop, I want him to call again with all his Ax hands. If he check/raises the turn we're smoked almost always so I'm fine folding TPTK in that spot.

As played on the river while it's true you showed weakness, he still needs something to bluff with. And the truth is every hand he'd call the flop with should be happy to see the showdown except stuff that crushes you. Broadway gutshots either made a straight or a pair of J that they'd be happy to see the showdown with, Tx beats you, strongish Ax like AQ could bet but I doubt they'd make it so big and it's already a stretch to give villain credit for valuebetting a top pair in that spot. There are no busted flushdraws or anything. So either villain is turning some pair into a bluff (rare), he's valuebetting a worse Ax on an ugly board by betting 3/4 pot (rare) or you AK is no good (common).

Hard to say, lots of people aren't even capable of raising draws and prefer calling to hit them. Usually without reads I prefer calling and reevaluating the turn, especially 130bb deep. If we're wrong about him having draws in his range we're getting in 120bb more as a huge underdog.

After calling the flop, if it comes something like a heart and villain doesn't have it he usually won't continue to bet, so we can both head for a showdown cheaply when he checks and safely fold when he bombs it. If it comes a blank it's trickier so I'll usually decide based on his bet sizing and timing.

If you do decide to 3-bet you need to make it bigger so you charge draws and can open jam a blank turn, something like $4 is more like it.

Hope it helps.
    • Escobario
      yeah it does, thanks alot