SNG Wiz edge %

• Rhymenoceros
      Rhymenoceros
      Bronze
      This is SNG wiz's def for edge%:

Edge% - The required edge you need to play the hand. Diff% must be greater than Edge% to make pushing or calling correct. If it is not, folding is the correct play.

However this doesn't really explain enough for me, this explains why we push not what edge is

can someone explain in simple terms please?

Is this the equity in % that we expect to earn in the long run against our opponents just by playing our game vs our opponent's game?

I wonder this because obviously if we consider our edge to be much greater vs other opponents in a specific game then we could afford to pass up situations where a push is marginally preferable because we feel our opponents are making too many mistakes or we are making better decisions (long term) than our opponents.

I don't think I would let this factor affect my game hugely at this stage because I don't consider my edge to be that great at the moment but I just like to fully understand the principles behind the decisions we make as it helps me rationalize them and makes it easier for me to make the correct decisions in future.

Thanks
  • 2 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rhymenoceros
      if we consider our edge to be much greater vs other opponents in a specific game then we could afford to pass up situations where a push is marginally preferable because we feel our opponents are making too many mistakes or we are making better decisions (long term) than our opponents.
      this is basically it,

we put the 'edge' in to give us a buffer for our decision, the bigger our edge the more marginal spots we will fold. We will increase our edge in easy games where we dont need to take marginal edges to be profitable. in harder games our edge will reduce.

for example in the top super turbos the edge is usually set to .05 or 0. however in normal speed SnGs you can set the edge as high as .2. the standard edge for STTs is around 0.1.

the most common spot to have a large edge is where our stack is big and we dont need to make marginal plays to increase our equity (because we already have a lot of equity)
    • Unam
      Unam
      good answer less thanthreee