[NL2-NL10] AJ, when to fold?

• bradomurder
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($5)
      BB ($5)
      UTG ($7.37)
      UTG+1 ($5.75)
      UTG+2 ($6.07) vp=16, pfr=16 cbet 100% (only 39 hand sample)
      CO ($2.72)
      Hero ($5)

Dealt to Hero A:club: J:heart:

fold, fold, UTG+2 raises to $0.15, fold, Hero calls $0.15, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.37) 9:diamond: 3:diamond: A:diamond:

UTG+2 bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

TURN ($0.97) 9:diamond: 3:diamond: A:diamond: 3:club:

UTG+2 bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90

RIVER ($2.77) 9:diamond: 3:diamond: A:diamond: 3:club: 8:club:

UTG+2 bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25

I know i took this too far, folding pre, flop or turn?
  • 2 replies
    • Escobario
      i like folding preflop there... when the A turns up its way to hard to fold, so save urself the hassle and avoid it all together :D
    • MaestroOfZerg

Depends how good you can hand-read postflop.

I usually call or 3-bet that in those positions, because I know I can fold stuff like TPGK postflop when I'm beat and I like messing with people postflop.

That said since UTG+2 looks somewhat tight and especially if you find yourself not being able to fold hands like TPGK to multiple barrels against tight players, you should probably take Escobario's advice and dump it preflop until you better you game.

Postflop I doubt villain is c-betting so big on that board without Ax or a big diamond too often, which means you're already slightly ahead / way behind against nits. Still on the off chance you're wrong you can't just dump it on the flop, calling on is fine.

On the turn tho it's a fold in my opinion, he'll show you AQ+/AA too often to balance out the times he's barreling the Kd which he might not even do.

On the river when he makes this valuebet-looking 1/3 bet, his hand looks exactly like AQ/AK, very rarely he's actually bluffing on the cheap after barreling the Kd on the turn. Again, just not worth it against a tight player in my opinion.

Hope it helps.