Shoving A or K?

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Just been reviewing my hands today and I will be honest had a bit of a shocker (but that's variance!!).

I have been patient waited for the good hands and stolen blinds along the way and limped onto final table (I play $1, 30 player SNG). A high proportion of the time it has been as number 9 or 10 stack, so I am already under pressure.

My question to you more experienced players is is it better to shove in this situation with a Ax or a Kx?

Now on the surface that seems a dumb question!!! Wait don't flame me just yet!!!!

I have been waiting for Ax, and it unfortunately it has generally been lowish x!! Then shoving, and I have come up against Ax - slightly higher x - a lot of the time!

My outs in this situation are 3.

If I shoved with KJ, KT or K9 or even QJ, QT my outs against Ax (lower x) would be 6 - and even more if the board was draw heavy in my favour.

Thoughts please.
  • 3 replies
      Bronze
      Practice with an ICM trainer. You need to base your shoves and calls on your stack size,
      your position, the other stack sizes, the blinds going up soon and how big a change,
      the losseness/tightness of other players and their awareness of ranges.

Download the SNG wizard and get the free trial and set a quizz to your exact site and game.

Once you start to get the idea and the hang of the basics you can start creating your own
      scenarios and finding out why a push is a good or a bad idea and you can adjust ranges to
      see just exactly when you should tweak your standard lines.

Also it seems like you may not be aggresive enough in the mid stages. Check out the articles
      on restealing and stealing. Just waiting for absolute monsters untill the final table and only
      shoving Ax when you get there is like giving your chips and your equity away for free to
      the other players.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply 8979687.

Last night I took your advice - practised on ICM trainer before I played a few tournaments and played with more aggression in the middle phase and lo and behold, on the very first game, went onto final table as chip leader!!

It came as such a surprise that I cocked it up from there with 2 much aggression, but that is a lesson for another day!
      Bronze
      I forgot to add that when you are playing and a situation comes up and you are not sure
      how to play it then post it in the hand evaluation section. People will discuss it then a
      judge will eventually review it.

Great learning tool.